a cure for homesick?? :(

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

mayasari

a cure for homesick?? :(

Post by mayasari »

hi...
my name is ITA. I'm from Indonesia. I'm currently studying at University of Northern Iowa. I've been here for almost two months now, and this is the toughest time of my life. this is my first time in the States and also my first time ever to leave away from my family.
I am so homesick I stayed in my room almost everyday waiting for a time to talk with my family on skype, but only made it to talk to them shortly because of the poor internet connection in my country.

any advice?? :(
Thanks a lot.
Ruqayah

Re: a cure for homesick?? :(

Post by Ruqayah »

i totally understand .i can say as one of my CIEP teachers said to me this is just a chapter from our lives. enjoy every moment here you w'll remember these days later.

Do things that make you feel at home for example eat Indonesian food.
look around the university you will see students from different nationalities. All of them share homesick with you.
and i am the first one. i left my husband and my daughter (she was 10 months) to study in U.S
so go ahead
God bless you

i hope this help you
ArnauEstanyol
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ArnauEstanyol »

I think if there isn't a good connection in your country you cannot do anything about.
It's a pity.
I'd like help you, but the issue it's very hard because it depends over the quality of the net wire. I don't know if there are other ways for overcoming this trouble.
Best regards
Ruqayah

Post by Ruqayah »

i understand your feeling.
i can say to you as one of my CIEP teachers said to me this just a chapter from our lives.
you must live in it with all happy, and sad moments.
if you look around the university ,you will see international students from different countries all of them share the home sick with you :-)
and i am one of them when i came to U.S i left my husband , and my daughter( she was 10 months).

just go ahead. God will help you
there is no gain without pain {-;
ArnauEstanyol
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ArnauEstanyol »

You're a couple of brave people. Travel far away from home to search for an opportunity to improve our life, leave behind our loved relatives and friends is a hard issue, a hard choosing.
This kind of sacrifices always have reward.
Good luck.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

It's understandable that you're feeling homesick since Iowa is one boring state. Even international students in California miss their homes and remember California is like a thousand times better than Iowa in term of a fun place to live. No one wants to live around corns or whatever they have in Iowa. It's very hard to leave the place you have all your love ones and memories to be in this boring one. The language also adds a sad twist to this misery. I remember when I first came to the States I missed my home country so much. Everything is too far away; it seems like forever to drive from one place to another. I couldn't understand a single word they said. I missed people speaking in my language everywhere I went. Fortunately I stared school one week later. We had a Vietnamese club in our school. I didn't join the club but I came to visit them every time at lunch. They had different activities. It was very fun to watch. They introduced me to their friends. It was one big group circle of friends. They spoke both Vietnamese and English and were very patient with me. I started to get my own non Vietnamese friends once I was confident enough to make a conversation. I think you should do this. Join a club. Be a part of something. Go to group study. Go to party. Your family will always be there with you but this is your own journey you need to experience alone. Make the most out of it. Make them proud. Don't get them worried about you being homesick or can't handle it yourself. Go out and make friends with people. Be friendly just enough that people don't think you're creepy. Explore the place. Take pictures. Talk about what you see. You'll be amazed how fast time flies. And you'll be amazed how busy you'll get that you don't have time to talk to them much. Good luck. I hope you'll feel better.
hilaryprk

Post by hilaryprk »

First off, I am so sorry to hear that. Since I have studied abroad in America last year, I can totally imagine and understand how you are feeling now. You must have been spending the hardest time of your life.

But honestly, I don't think you are actively trying to solve the problem and difficulties you are facing with but, just feeling lonely and sad in your room and doing nothing to comfront the issue. Then, how can anybody know what you are trying to do and what kind of help you are seeking for?

The more I travel and live overseas, the more I feel humans are all the same. It's just the difference between the culture and background where you are from and what your society has told you to do. The more you open up yourself, the sooner Amercans will come and talk to you and be friends with you.

Trust me because I have already gone through the exact same thing that you might have been suffering from now. Humans are social animals as you know and, we are supposed to adapt to any kinds of new situations. It just depends on how much you are willing to embrace the new environment.

You are in America. You don't want to waste your time and money.
Go for it. Get out and meet people. That's the fastest way to survive while you are staying in America.

If you want to ask anything and talk with me.
Feel free to email me back. I would love to share your problems.

Bye.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Staying in is not the best solution. I am sure you have already made great new friends there. You should hang out with them as often as you can. Of course you can't neglect your family and you should save some time to chat with them on Skype, send them e-mails or even write a letter. But like I said, staying home waiting for their internet connection to work properly is to punish yourself. Enjoy your time in a foreign country, since this will be a great experience for you. Go out, have fun and do not spend your time thinking about home.

Cheers!
shanda

Post by shanda »

I am very sorry to heard that. but you should go out and make friend with people. enjoy yourself when u are living and studying in foreign country if you don't want to waste your time & money.
hope you fine.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

just so I joined ESL!
esl member since 2007
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

consider yourself lucky if you have friends, sometimes your time won't be enough to find new friends. :(
esl member since 2007
TeddyAllen

Post by TeddyAllen »

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about the Internet connection.

I suggest that you should go out more and meet some new friends.
Let's socialize! I'm pretty sure there are tons of people who get homesick just like you. Talk to them, share your stories, make friends. It will make you feel better and more positive.

Sitting at home all day is not really a cure. It can be even worse, you will feel negative and depressed. Sharing is the best way! ;-)
xiaoxiao

Post by xiaoxiao »

I think if there isn't a good FIFA Coins connection in your country you cannot do anything about.
It's a pity.
larryholmes

Post by larryholmes »

Sometimes the best thing to do to avoid homesick is that you may consider yourself why did you go to other part of the world and most of of all try to consider this question, what is your best purpose of doing it? Did you do this for the sake of your family?

Or perhaps make yourself busy and there everything will going fine, until such time that you can adjust yourself.