A Song of Ice and Fire

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

A Song of Ice and Fire

Post by Dixie »

I just started reading George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones (after watching the series, I must say) and I'm really enjoying it. I know it's becoming a world-wide best seller so I was wondering if anybody else around here is reading the books or has read them.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Post by MissLT »

My cousin and I have been reading these books for months. We have to give each other encouraging words every time one of us wants to quit. They're so loooooooong. Never in my life have I been on a book for a week! I had been reading book 2 for two weeks and I was only 70% done. I love the story, the writing and everything about it but so amazingly loooooong. Right now, I'm reading book 4 and 5 although I did cheat myself to check out the whole story at wiki.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I'm on book 5 now. So far I'm enjoying A Dance With Dragons but, like you said, it's sooo long. It's got over 1,000 pages, and I'm around page 600 now. It's true they're long, but you must admit the story is exciting. There are so many twists and turns you can never expect what's going to happen.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Wow, you're still on it? I've stopped reading it because it was too long. Also, partly because I borrowed it from the library which doesn't allow anyone to renew a book more than three times. Getting back on the waiting list was a pita so I figured it was time to stop. I'll probably continue reading it when they do season 5, though. I did reread book 2 last month actually to see the differences between the show and the book; I couldn't remember much. Another reason was because I read 50 shades of grey as a dare. Oh my effing god!!!! Never once in my life I wanted to burn a book and punch the writer in the face at the same time or maybe one after another like this time. I hate everything about this book. I hate the fact I cannot unread it once it's been read. I hate the fact that loudsy cow of a writer has made millions on this book. I hate whoever likes or loves this book. I just simply hate this book with a passion. The only part I'm kinda pleased is I got it for free, so none of my money goes to her for sure. And I won the damnable dare.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

MissLT wrote: Another reason was because I read 50 shades of grey as a dare. Oh my effing god!!!! Never once in my life I wanted to burn a book and punch the writer in the face at the same time or maybe one after another like this time. I hate everything about this book. I hate the fact I cannot unread it once it's been read. I hate the fact that loudsy cow of a writer has made millions on this book. I hate whoever likes or loves this book. I just simply hate this book with a passion. The only part I'm kinda pleased is I got it for free, so none of my money goes to her for sure. And I won the damnable dare.
What's the deal with this book? It's getting quite popular over here. Many people are reading it. I have no idea what it's about, only that there's lots of explicit sex in it, right? Maybe that's the reason of its popularity. Which, for me, means lousy writer trying to get people's attention and money :twisted: . So I'm not getting those books (there are two, that I know of).
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

:roll: this ~ has three books and unfortunately I've read them all. Yeah, I know, I'm a dumb cow. It's the last time I'm taking on anyone's dare. So not effing worth it. I could literally feel my brain cells dying and my blood raising. I was like a vocalno that was about to explode with rage. The whole time I was reading I wanted to check out online to see if she happened to be nearby for book signing, so I could come and throw those mothereffing books in her face. Then I'd slap her silly. She's a disgrace!!! Never knew I could hate anyone's writing that much. Anyhoo, if you don't wanna read the whole thing but in for a laugh or eye-rolling moment, you can check these tumblr blogs out. They're making fun of her writing.

http://50shadesofwhy.tumblr.com/
http://50shadesofsuck.tumblr.com/
http://fiftyshadesofedits.tumblr.com/

I check these sometime to nurse my pain. I still cannot believe she makes money out of sh!!it. Now we know the answer of can you turn shiiiiit into gold? The writing sucks. The story sucks. The sex scenes suck. I read erotica for fun. Hers is not erotic or romantic. Her main characters are two annoying creepy people. Well, the female character "I'm clumsy, I-don't-think-I'm-hot, I-like-classics, down to earth" is beyond annoying compared to the male. I blame it on the writer. Her personality sucks, so her female character can't think of anything cool. Either that or I have issues with soccer mommies who seem to praise this work and want a Christian Grey for themselves. *Puke!* :roll:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

:lol: OK Len, I'm convinced. I'm not going to read those. :twisted: {-:

Right now I'm still busy with Starks, Lannisters, Greyjoys and other creatures. :mrgreen:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Phew, good, one is saved. :mrgreen: There's my good deed for today. Believe me, you are not missing out. Those books are like tsunami, tragic and desvatating with its lame story and characters. How can a 21-year-old college student in the US of A doesn't have an email or a laptop so her male character has to gift her one??? I rolled my eyes over backward so much they almost stayed there. My nephews started using a computer when they were 5 or 6 and each owned one when they were 10. Whatever reason she doesn't have a laptop is unbelievable and inexcusable. One cannot skate through college life here without a computer!!! Then he gives her the car, the first class flights on vacation, the house, etc. Of course, she protests. What kinda gold digger would she be if she was enjoying all those gifts and just saying thank you without making a fuss that he was all she needed? The main character says she's an ordinary girl, yet she bags a billionaire who would literally die for her if he could. I mean, come the hell on! What are the chances that an ordinary girl would get a millionaire or *shocking* a billionaire? If you cannot bring anything to a relatiomship, don't reach for the sky. This is one of the reasons I hate this trilogy with a passion. The women who enjoy it have unrealistic expectations of a man. A man's gotta be this and that while they can remain to be a silly cow. Ugghh! Get help!