Is Saturday a holiday?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

sammiwago

Is Saturday a holiday?

Post by sammiwago »

Can we say Saturday or Sunday is a holiday?
TheStephen

Re: Is Saturday a holiday?

Post by TheStephen »

They are simply "the weekend."
lexybam

Post by lexybam »

This question is more of individuality than generalized. It depends on the way you see it and what type of work you do. Saturday may not be seen as holiday by some organization and self employed people, rather, they can call it week end.
lexybam

Post by lexybam »

lexybam wrote:This question is more of individuality than generalized. It depends on the way you see it and what type of work you do. Saturday may not be seen as holiday by some organization and self employed people, rather, they can call it week end.
Kneehigh Gladiator Sandals|Cuisinart ss-700|Mossy Oak Seat Covers
sdluk

Post by sdluk »

Both are weekends, so it's better to say them 'the weekends' or 'work-off days' rather than holidays, because 'holidays' are specially given leave days.
If your country has only Sunday as a work-off days then you can say the Saturday as a holiday.
gandalf

Post by gandalf »

A holiday is a day when you don't work - you can take a holiday in the middle of the week, and somebody may say if you are ill "are you taking a holiday". Public holidays are when the country is generally not working, of course this excludes many emergency and service personnel and hotels and restaurants etc. In many countries people work on Saturdays. In Christian countries Sunday at least is a holiday, perhaps Saturday. In the UK a bank holiday is usually a Monday, which makes "a long weekend", and Catholics celebrate "holy days of obligation" in a religious way - but not all holy days are holidays, depending on the country and in Switzerland the canton too. School holidays are often 2 or 3 weeks.
angelical

Post by angelical »

sdluk wrote:Both are weekends, so it's better to say them 'the weekends' or 'work-off days' rather than holidays, because 'holidays' are specially given leave days.
If your country has only Sunday as a work-off days then you can say the Saturday as a holiday.
Most people do not refer to weekends as holidays, but I have heard native English speakers call the weekends holidays because they do not have to work.
angelical

Post by angelical »

angelical wrote:
sdluk wrote:Both are weekends, so it's better to say them 'the weekends' or 'work-off days' rather than holidays, because 'holidays' are specially given leave days.
Most people do not refer to weekends as holidays, but I have heard native English speakers call the weekends holidays because they do not have to work.
I consider any holiday to be a time when I am able to go visit a great hotel such as the Las Vegas Mandalay Bay. If you go on vacation, then it is a holiday, if not, it is just a normal weekend, and not a holiday.
reindeer
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by reindeer »

As my work days are exactly Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and also all countrywide days-off, while been asked "How was your weekend?" I usually answer: "Not bad. Just worked a little, for a change."
So, in my case, 'a weekend' will never match the definition of 'a holyday'. However, it may cause a misunderstanding. :-(
But there is also a good point - during the weekdays I can devote myself to thinking over the problem and decorating forums with my meretricious soliloquies :)
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

reindeer wrote:As my work days are exactly Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and also all countrywide days-off, while been asked "How was your weekend?" I usually answer: "Not bad. Just worked a little, for a change."
So, in my case, 'a weekend' will never match the definition of 'a holyday'. However, it may cause a misunderstanding. :-(
But there is also a good point - during the weekdays I can devote myself to thinking over the problem and decorating forums with my meretricious soliloquies :)
I also work on Weekends, so not Holidays at all for me.
reindeer
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by reindeer »

Are you involved in some kind of entertainment business?
reindeer
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by reindeer »

Must go now.
Nice to meet you Oriani.

Andrew
Greetings from Argentina
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

reindeer wrote:Must go now.
Nice to meet you Oriani.

Andrew
Greetings from Argentina
I work as a Teacher of English in Venezuela. But I also teach on Saturdays. My only day off is Sunday and I feel as if ti wasn't anyway.

Greetings from Vzla.
reindeer
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by reindeer »

Have a nice day!
Greetings from Manaos.
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

reindeer wrote:Have a nice day!
Greetings from Manaos.
Wow, I receive greetings from everywhere if it comes from you. Nice. Should I say greetings from Venezuela or somewhere else?

PS: I meant "it" instead of "ti" on my previous post.
reindeer
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by reindeer »

Manque traveller synthdrome. Greetings from Saint-Petersburg!

P.S. you shouldn't change anything
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

reindeer wrote:Manque traveller synthdrome. Greetings from Saint-Petersburg!

P.S. you shouldn't change anything
I supposed so because of your S-pet below your Avatar =).
So, you're Russian ... It sounds interesting to me ....