I need help on MLA quatation. :(

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

kerrigan

I need help on MLA quatation. :(

Post by kerrigan »

Please check and see if this quotation is done right. I have to do this in MLA format. :(
Thanks a million.

1. In Neilson’s Thanks You, Dr. Miller, For Saving My Life article, “I'm happy to say Veterinary Medicine exceeded my expectations” (570).

2. In his article about Bankruptcies, Illness Linked :
Medical problems contributed to nearly two-thirds of all bankruptcies in the United States in 2007, according to a study in the American Journal of Medicine. Based on court-record reviews and interviews of more than 2,300 bankruptcy…. Most medical debtors were well educated, owned homes, and had middle-class occupations, the study found. (Anderson 61)

3. Journalist Christie McLAREN says “The cost of the Ontario Drug Benefit Plan is rising 20 percent each year. Last year, Ontario spent $638-million on this plan - five times as much as a decade ago…” (“Cost of Essential” 5).

Work Cited

Anderson, Jane. "Bankruptcies, Illness Linked." Internal Medicine News 1 July 2009: 61. Academic OneFile. Web. 5 Apr. 2012.

"Cost of Essential Medicine Too High for Many, Report Says Overhaul of Ontario Free-Drug Program Urged." Globe & Mail [Toronto, Canada] 31 July 1990: A1. Gale Opposing Viewpoints In Context. Web. 5 Apr. 2012.

Neilson, Jacqui. "Thanks You, Dr. Miller, For Saving My Life." Veterinary Medicine Sept. 2007: 570. Health Reference Center Academic. Web. 15 Apr. 2012.
writinghelp

Re: I need help on MLA quatation. :(

Post by writinghelp »

Hi Kerrigan,

I'm new to the forums (hi everyone!), but I can help you with this. :) I'll respond in order to your questions.

1. Your citation is correct but I would change the English. There are other options of course but one idea is this:

In his article, "Thank You, Dr. Miller, For Saving My Life," Neilson noted, “I'm happy to say Veterinary Medicine exceeded my expectations” (570).

2. Again your MLA citation is correct but I would change to something like this to address some issues in the intro sentence:

In his article, "Bankruptcies, Illness Linked," Anderson noted that

medical problems contributed to nearly two-thirds of all bankruptcies in the United States in 2007, according to a study in the American Journal of Medicine. Based on court-record reviews and interviews of more than 2,300 bankruptcy. . . . Most medical debtors were well educated, owned homes, and had middle-class occupations, the study found. (61)

Note that I intentionally lower cased the m in medical and changed to a period and 3 spaced dots for the ellipsis points.

3. Good job on your citation. I would change your text to this though:

Journalist Christie McLaren said, “The cost of the Ontario Drug Benefit Plan is rising 20 percent each year. Last year, Ontario spent $638-million on this plan - five times as much as a decade ago” (“Cost of Essential” 5).

Depending on the context, you might be able to use says, but if you do, still include the comma as I've done after said.

I'll respond to your questions about the references in a separate post in a moment.
writinghelp

Re: I need help on MLA quatation. :(

Post by writinghelp »

As for the references, they appear to be newspaper articles, and if so, I would format them as follows. I tried tracking the domains down for the first two but didn't see them so please insert them (it looks like MLA prefers to use just the main part of the domain name, not a long, exact cite, so for instance we use CNN.com as opposed to CNN.com/blah-blah/blah-blah).

For the second citation, it seems like Gale Opposing Viewpoints in Context might be the name of a column, in which case I think I have it correct (although if others notice a mistake please jump in because I only rarely deal with MLA...I believe I have followed the guidelines well from MLA 7 though).

Anderson, Jane. “Bankruptcies, Illness Linked.” RetrievalDomain.com. Internal Medicine News, 1 July 2009. Web. 5 Apr. 2012.

“Cost of Essential Medicine Too High for Many, Report Says Overhaul of Ontario Free-Drug Program Urged.” Gale Opposing Viewpoints in Context. RetrievalDomain.com. Globe and Mail, 31 July 1990. Web. 5 Apr. 2012.

Neilson, Jacqui. “Thank You, Dr. Miller, For Saving My Life.” Letters. VeterinaryMedicine.dvm360.com. Veterinary Medicine, 1 Sept. 2007. Web. 15 Apr. 2012.

Note the change from Thanks to Thank in the final citation.