EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Modal verb question...

Feel free to post here :)

Moderators: Vega, Dixie, EC

Modal verb question...

Postby zancan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi there, I'm new here and did not want to post this question in the Grammar area just because I'm a teacher and not a student, sorry if I put it in a wrong place.

I am preparing a class for tomorrow and my teacher's book gives a very weird answer key, here's a part of the text:

"They spent the whole dinner talking about the most unexpected and fascinating things. One could not really tell what they were talking about. Subjects would change in a strange flow of energy - in a secret way one (can - ought to - should) say - constantly spinning over all subjects, diving into one, drowning into one another."

Answer key says *should* but I really can't understand why. My first choice would have been *would* or *might/could* but since they're not available I would select *can* even though it sounds a bit weird but I really can't see *should* in there. Can someone explain it to me? And also then explain why *should* is good but not *ought to*?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm teaching this class in less than 12 hours, I just got the book yesterday (late class preparation) but anyway point is I need an answer pretty fast. :) Thank you!
zancan

Re: Modal verb question...

Postby Josef » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:50 am

I'd agree with you and go for would/might/could.

The options given are not really English.

Having said that, the following page has the text, using "should":
http://euheinnatasha.blogspot.com/2010/ ... about.html
Josef
Protector of the Boards
Protector of the Boards

Postby zancan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:00 pm

Thank you Josef. Sorry for late answer, busy week here. And thanks for finding the text in the internet. Considering all the typos in it I wouldn't consider it as a source of the correct use of the language, no. The blog is from a Brazilian girl so maybe she was a student who used this material a few years ago? Afaik the material was written back in 2007, I've been working at this school for 6 months now but only now I got this class to teach. Oh well, I just asked my students to use ANY modal verb in the whole text not only the options shown and when they chose could/might in this part of the text I just said "very good!" and moved on... :)
zancan

Postby Desmond » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks for sharing.
Desmond

Postby carolgrey » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:01 am

yeah ,there is only small difference between them.
carolgrey

Return to General Discussion