Modal verb question...

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

zancan

Modal verb question...

Post by zancan »

Hi there, I'm new here and did not want to post this question in the Grammar area just because I'm a teacher and not a student, sorry if I put it in a wrong place.

I am preparing a class for tomorrow and my teacher's book gives a very weird answer key, here's a part of the text:

"They spent the whole dinner talking about the most unexpected and fascinating things. One could not really tell what they were talking about. Subjects would change in a strange flow of energy - in a secret way one (can - ought to - should) say - constantly spinning over all subjects, diving into one, drowning into one another."

Answer key says *should* but I really can't understand why. My first choice would have been *would* or *might/could* but since they're not available I would select *can* even though it sounds a bit weird but I really can't see *should* in there. Can someone explain it to me? And also then explain why *should* is good but not *ought to*?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm teaching this class in less than 12 hours, I just got the book yesterday (late class preparation) but anyway point is I need an answer pretty fast. :) Thank you!
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Modal verb question...

Post by Joe »

I'd agree with you and go for would/might/could.

The options given are not really English.

Having said that, the following page has the text, using "should":
http://euheinnatasha.blogspot.com/2010/ ... about.html
zancan

Post by zancan »

Thank you Josef. Sorry for late answer, busy week here. And thanks for finding the text in the internet. Considering all the typos in it I wouldn't consider it as a source of the correct use of the language, no. The blog is from a Brazilian girl so maybe she was a student who used this material a few years ago? Afaik the material was written back in 2007, I've been working at this school for 6 months now but only now I got this class to teach. Oh well, I just asked my students to use ANY modal verb in the whole text not only the options shown and when they chose could/might in this part of the text I just said "very good!" and moved on... :)
Desmond

Post by Desmond »

Thanks for sharing.
carolgrey

Post by carolgrey »

yeah ,there is only small difference between them.