EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

time expressions with perfect continious

English grammar help. Grammar questions from ESL learners

Moderator: Alan

time expressions with perfect continious

Postby Anastasyia » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:58 pm

Hello {-: )) I am a non-native speaker, so I hope you can help me get some things clear.
Is it grammatically and semantically correct to say "I have been painting the wall from 3 to 5 p.m today"/"I had been painting the wall from 3 to 5 p.m today"/"I had been painting the wall from 3 to 5 p.m yesterday" , "I have been writing a letter until 5 p.m today"/"I had been writing a letter until 5 p.m today"/"I had been writing a letter until 5 p.m yesterday". In other words, can we use the Present Perfect Continuous/ Past Perfect Continuous Tense with time expressions such as "from 3 to 5 p.m", "until 5 p.m." and other similar expressions that refer to a particular time in the present or past? {-: thanks a lot
Anastasyia

Re: time expressions with perfect continious

Postby Alan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:43 am

Briefly, yes with the past perfect but no with the present perfect, since the former, unlike the latter, can be modified by a definite past time phrase (e.g. I had already spoken to him earlier that morning).
Alan
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Return to Grammar Help