EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

stop+V-ing vs stopped+V-ing

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

stop+V-ing vs stopped+V-ing

Postby jakesakic » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:27 pm

"As soon as jake officially stopped smoking" vs "As soon as jake officially stop smoking"

From what i found online:

-> Stopped + v-ing = to finish doing something that you do regularly or habit (is that correct?)

-> Stop + v-ing = _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ missing exact meaning here, any ideas?

Google wasn't that useful to find the latter because "stop" is too common, but knowing English-language there will be a subtle difference between the two, so if any of you can walk us through this one it would be grandly appreciated.

Thanks

Furthermore, i did use "As soon as I officially stopped smoking" because of it's On-going connotation and would argue that it makes a difference with non-ing verbs that convey a lesser on-going state and instead focus on the moment in which the event was over.

So as a secondary question: Would the "state" of the situation matter? and for that we will need the full sentence which was: As soon as I officially stopped smoking

Officially-> emphasis on the "complete and irrefutable" halt

Stopped-> emphasis on the "on-going" halt
Smoking-> habit in question

Any thought?
jakesakic

Re: stop+V-ing vs stopped+V-ing

Postby Kellogg » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:17 am

Hello,

I am not sure what your question is, but here is something that may interest you:

1. Jake has stopped SMOKING. = He no longer smokes. (He has broken the habit.)

2. Jake has stopped TO SMOKE. = He has decided to take some time out of his activities to smoke; then he will resume his activities.
Kellogg

Postby jakesakic » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:54 pm

Maybe this will clarified the question:

"As soon as jake officially stopped smoking" vs "As soon as jake officially stop smoking"

From what i found online:

-> Stopped + v-ing = to finish doing something that you do regularly or habit (is that correct?)

-> Stop + v-ing = _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ missing exact meaning here, any ideas?

Thanks
jakesakic

Postby Kellogg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:41 pm

stoppED + gerund = to break a habit. Jake officially stopped smoking on December 30, 2012. He has not smoked again since that day.

"As soon as Jake STOP smoking" is -- I believe -- "bad" English. You need "stopS."

The manager will give Jake the job as soon as he stopS smoking. (That company hires only non-smokers.) In other words, WHENEVER Jake stopS smoking, he will THEN get the job.
Kellogg

Postby jakesakic » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Still dooesn't address he question att hand regarding the difference in meanings, but you are right about the 3rd person, that was an oversight(Typo).

Fill in the gap:

-> He Stopped + v-ing = to finish doing something that you do regularly or habit
-> He Stops + v-ing = _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
jakesakic

Postby Kellogg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:49 am

He StoppED smoking. = something that happened in the past. (He stoppED smoking last year.)

He stopS smoking. = a possibility in the future. (As soon as he stopS smoking, he will be hired; As soon as he DOES stop smoking, he ....)

It could also refer to the action itself:

Tom smokes a lot every day. But he stopS smoking whenever he sees the manager walking down the hall. (Smoking in the building is prohibited.)
Kellogg

Postby jakesakic » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:14 pm

So would the use of "As soon As" affects their meaning or make them grammatically false?

[He stops smoking] -> Future Event....
[He stopped smoking] -> past event....

[As soon as jake officially stops smoking] -> Correct
[As soon as jake officially stopped smoking] -> False (as past-event is used with a future context???)

I know it's nitpicking, but my original intrigue is related to that context vs grammar situation where i have no clue what's allowed or not and what takes priority over what.

Thanks for keeping up with me
jakesakic

Postby Kellogg » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:20 am

Jake was denied the position because he was a smoker. But as soon as Jake officially stopped smoking, the manager offered him the position. (as soon as = when)
Kellogg

Return to Help Each Other with English