EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

How to understand the phrase?

Help on English vocab, including idioms, slang and sayings

Moderator: EC

How to understand the phrase?

Postby Alexey » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:28 am

Hello!
In the "Treasure Island" by Stevenson there is a phrase "He whipped out of sight in a moment, leaving Silver to arrange the party, and I fancy it was as well he did so.". Could You help me understand "it was as well he did so" – what it means and why?
Thank You in advance!
Alexey

Re: How to understand the phrase?

Postby solzen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:57 pm

It means that it's probably better that he left and Silver arranged the party alone.

If your friend wants to see a movie but doesn't, you might say "It's just as well, it was a bad movie." It's good that a situation happened the way it did (Silver arranged the party, your friend didn't see the movie).
solzen
Silver Member

Re: How to understand the phrase?

Postby engnative » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:13 am

"it was as well he did so"

This means. It was a good reason.

It also means: if it was you, you would of done the same thing.

"He whipped out of sight in a moment, leaving Silver to arrange the party, and I fancy it was as well he did so."

Here is the same sentence re-worded:
He whipped out of sight in a moment, leaving Silver to arrange the party, and I believe it was a good reason, that he went out of sight, I would of done the same thing.
engnative

Return to Vocabulary Help