EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Let's learn together!

Feel free to post here :)

Moderators: Vega, Dixie, EC

How can we correct ourselves?

Postby behnam » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi Maniya,

Many thanks for your reply. Safir institute has knowledgeable teachers. After finishing all courses in Kish institute, I went to Safir institute and took part in IELTS skills courses; listening, speaking, reading, and writing. The courses were really useful.

There is a saying in English, 'if you don't use it, lose it'! It comes true when we consider learning a new language. It is the same for all learners.

Obviously, when writing and speaking, we put some words beside together to make a sentence. We must know that putting words randomly beside together hardly creates a correct meaningful sentence. In making conversations structurally correct sentences are necessary. In other words, knowing grammatical rules is important in making effective conversations. There are many methods to learn English grammar. Self-correction is one of the most effective methods. How can we correct ourselves?

When putting words beside together we must care about some rules. In order to make it clear, let me give you an example from your own post:
Maniya wrote: I start learning English about two years ago when I was 16.(Safir Language Academic) my father is upset that I can not speak English during these two years.

These two sentences are written wisely. The first sentence indirectly mentions to your age. It says that you are 18 now! As you know, making conversations and communications in English is one of the main purposes of learning the English language. The conversation has been made perfectly, since I understood what you meant. However, you may intend to improve your grammar. You can do it-to a great extent- by self-correction, but how?

In the first sentence, you are speaking about something which was done in the past. So the tense of verb must be in past simple. Therefore, It must be 'I started learning English about two years ago.' You can ask yourself, which of the following sentences is correct and why?:

a) I started to learn English two years ago.
b) I started learning English two years ago.

Then you refer to some reference books and see that they are a little bit different, but for this case both can be used. When we say 'I stop(start) to smoke', the action isn't done before stopping. In other words, the action will be done after stopping(starting). However, when we say 'I stop(start) smoking', we are doing the action(smoking in this case).

In the second sentence, your father is upset because of something, so that's better to use 'because' instead of 'that'. Plus, 'can not' is a common mistake. It must be 'cannot'. In addition to these minor mistakes, 'during these two years' doesn't make sense. I guess you mean something like this:

Despite taking part in some courses and practising English for two years, I still cannot speak English well, and this has made my father disappointed in me. Or, ...and this has made my father angry with me!

When we use 'during these two years' we emphasis on the duration of time that the action has been done. In the second sentence, you are, actually, complaining about dissatisfaction with your spoken English. Speaking is considered as the result of your learning. In other words, your father expects you to speak quite well now. Therefore, it is incorrect to use 'during these two years' for this purpose!

I don't mean to correct you. What I am saying is that by spending some time on the structures and considering other possible options we can both correct ourselves, write more effectively and beautifully.

I hope that helps!

All the best,
Behnam, 28 April, 2013
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *
behnam
Gold Member

Hi Naseh

Postby Kamelia » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:32 pm

How are you dear friend? I guess I never got the chance to write to you. This is my first time and it is a little bit hard to start the posting since answering your post is a little bit difficult.

So I see you got a presentation. Tell you what? I guess most of my friends from Iran here are too much familiar with the presentations, or at least guys my age!
These lectures have become a routine way of achieving grades in Universities nowadays and they are really good BUT....only if they are presented in a very articulate professional way! Not by a sleepy tired student trying to finish it as soon as s/he can! Do you see what I mean? :-D

Oh I passed research methodology course about two years ago. I new almost all the subjects by heart but unfortunately I never even heard of participant observation or maybe I was not as good at it as I thought I was! :-D

Could I ask you something? What is your major?

Hope to read from you so soon,
Kamelia
Silver Member

Hi Maniya

Postby Kamelia » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:43 pm

How are you doing dear friend? How is everything going on?

Dear Maniya, I read your post and then dear Behnam's post to you. I was thinking that what I could help you with as an English learner. I am not a very good adviser but there are some stuff which I faced when I was your age and learning English.
Actually I remember my first and worst problem was that why could not I learn which propositions go with which verb! Next problem, why could not I speak fluently and stop pausing after each word I used? You see? There was a lot to go. I could not even write properly! What I thought was that I could NEVER learn them, like really hell NEVER!

Now, I am not as educated or as experienced as Behnam is in teaching or in English but I know something. You are never going to learn a language unless you give yourself SOME TIME! Try to level with your father that in two years you are not going to be a professional BBC news reporter! You see what I am trying to say?

Oh and something else, more than trying to speak, LISTEN! Listen to everything English that is available! Listen and then repeat them to yourself.

It is funny but I had a very fluent teacher in speaking who told me that he used to talk to himself! Alone! He used to bring up a subject for himself so then he thought about it and tried to discuss with himself. This seems a very easy way, right? Because we think of too many stuff everyday and then if we could just spit them out in English, miracles would happen!

Best of Luck dear
Kamelia
Silver Member

Hi Behnam

Postby Kamelia » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:49 pm

How are you dr? :-D Long time and no posts to you made me miss you so I am finding a little excuse to write to you here.

I was reading your post to Maniya. I still cannot express how much I liked it. You advise people greatly without even making them feel like you are a very knowledgeable person to whom they HAVE to pay much respect, do you see what I am trying to say? No pompous airs! While you ARE that great person!

I always look carefully to learn new tips and hints from you. Thank you for being so inspiring :-)

Hope to read so soon from you,
Kamelia
Silver Member

Re: Let's learn together!

Postby naseh » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi Kamelia,
How do you do? I am glad to know you. Please let's start a new page of friendship. I know only more about Behnam. So I am going to take the chance.

Thanks a million for writing to me even if my writings were broken. Since language is way of communication so it doesnot matter. In my opinion, nowadays, those who write free writings are better than those who write formal writnings. I think those mistakes are the one and only which can attract the attention of the reader. What does matter is the idea. If you have an idea and some rules that make you convey it in an understandable way.

Once again, thanks for sharing me your experience. Oh my God, sorry! Take it easy if I said you asked me a question I am tring not to answer. So, it is an obligation for me to answer since it is your first question. My major is Translation plus ..!
I hope to know more about you.
naseh

Postby Maniya » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:42 am

Dear Behnam &Kamelia
I am grateful for your helpful instruction to improve my language
but I think I can never be like you. }:
You and the other member are very good at talking. {-:
I like successful people in their life and trying to be one of them :oops: .I think Behnam is one of that successful people Who makes life so much attention. ;-)

a flower is beautifull for a day
but love a beautifull flower for ever
Maniya
Silver Member

Hi Maniya

Postby naseh » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:18 pm

How do you do? I am glad to know you! Have a big shout for joining this thread! I am happy to know the forth Iranian Friend. I know only the female ones, Mohsen and Behnam. But my beloved ones, Kamelia and you, I am sorry if I say I know not your gender. Fact must be siad, I have problem in recognizing names whether is it male of female. Since I think there is no rule in the English language to allow you to distinguish genders.

In Arabic, my mother-tongue, I can recognize a person through knowing his name. However, I suffer nowadays from a phenomenon of westernization of Arabic Names. For example, I know the old-male name 'Ahmed, Mohammed, Ali, Hassan', but couldn't recognize these recent names as : ' Barakat, Alawi, Faten, Sa'aoud', though these names are Arabic. The reason is that in every Yemeni area, some name a woman as "Barakat" and the others name a man as "Barakat", depending on the culture of each area. I don't know if there is scientist who can manage this problem.

Your English is very good since you are studying English at an institute. If I am going to compare your English with mine, as a university-student of English, it will be shameful on me. I am not flattering with you. This is what I see. Dr. Behnam has a good experience in struggling to get the language.

For me, I was studing English at an institute.I think, it is nothing if we compare the institute's syllabus with the university's curriculum. That is to say, academic teaching is the real teaching. Of course, there is something its name is "Distance Learning" that makes us rich of enrolling universities. In my opinion, universities are like paper-books during E-books. Paper- books has its beauty and characters.

That's it!!!
naseh

Dear Friends

Postby naseh » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Today, Our doctor was absent of his lecture. I was so nervous all night till I dreamed that I was doing my presentation in front of my doctor. It was hard for me since I saw myself nervous. I think that is a natural feeling every one have it if s/he is about to do something for the first time publicly, except some.

Now, I have lost that feeling. I am now comfortable. I have decided not to do it again. I hate doing things again. However, I love doing things again in one condition, that is if I fail doing it. So, since I didn't fail doing it, I am going to delay it or choose another topic while I hate alot being fail. I know failure is a friend of successful people but I hate it in my studying.

Of course, every one want to be the first one in everything. Every one want to achieve his goals in order to help his parents and his country. Sometimes I get some laziness. For one year or more, I have been addicting with Facebook. I spend more than 8 hours each day. Please pray for me to get rid of facebook. I spend most of time in politics. This is what made me leave this thread since I was active member in every thread that Behnam was trying to build. He was moving from one site to another untill he has stayed here. He was leaving those sites for some reasons. Anyway, I do love his obstinacy.

To conclude, everyone need to be stubborn in getting his rights and achieving his goals. I think it is the one and only tool that allow us to achieve what we want otherwise we may be eaten by others. We have a proverb in Arabic "كن ذئباً والا اكلتك الذئاب", its translation is:' Be a wolf, otherwise you will be eaten by other wolfs"

That's it!!!
naseh

Postby Elham » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:36 pm

Dear Kami,

Happy to see you here these days. I check the posts everyday, I really want to write, a looooooot, but I don't know why I don't feel like writing. I've really missed writing long energetic posts.

I'm sorry for being late to reply to your post and questions you had asked me about poem! Honey I love to write about this topic, but I prefer to do this while I'm in a poetic mood!haha :-)

There are times when I get terribly poetic and feel deeply in love! In love with what? Emmmm, different things, different persons.... I love those times,.............

Oh Kami I do love to write about this topic aloooooooot, alooooooooooooot, I miss writing.... but I don't know what's wrong with me...... ~.....

You know, There are bothering thoughts preventing me...

Kami? What has been your biggest loss in life? What's the worst feeling you've ever experienced? If you could change one thing in your life, what would it be?
What do you think is the saddest thing you may experience?

Oh sorry Kami, I was supposed to answer your questions not to ask!

Emmm........ busy mind.... sorryyyyyyyyy

Hope to write to you in a better mood soon,
Kiss
Elham
Gold Member

Postby Maniya » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:26 pm

dear Naseh
that is kind of you.thanks a lot. :-(
I,m female.
i am so glad to be one of your Iranian friend. ;-)
a flower is beautifull for a day
but love a beautifull flower for ever
Maniya
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion