EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Tips for Vocabulary

Help on English vocab, including idioms, slang and sayings

Moderator: EC

Re: Tips for Vocabulary

Postby polish » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:15 pm

I use to learn words described here already: I get to know a new word, write it on a small piece of paper and put or I stick in a place where I see frequently (the mirror over the stove, the computer screen) and I peek at it every time I go there . (I am a visual learner). The word sticks in my memory permanently :)
polish

Postby javasen » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:46 pm

My way to enrich the vocabulary of English is so:
I am searching in the dictionary for example names of animals, I am repeating them - and then on the the sheet I am writing out from the memory the most names of animals, as many I will remember. The same I am dealing with names of plants, of colours etc.

The other my way is very simple: I am making the list of English words and their equivalents in my language (Polish). Then I am covering the English part and I am writing out English words, I am checking - and this way to the effect, as far as I will write out all English words correctly.

Presumably these are trivial methods, but for me it works. :)
javasen

Postby tadkoks » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:27 pm

For me an excellent way for the learning of words are songs - namely I have a lot of favourite songs, but so far I didn't know texts, because I wasn't good at English. Now I am printing the text of my favourite song, I am listening to it and I am singing with the vocalist, looking at words. Then I am hiding the sheet and I am trying to give a fluent answer at the memory. If I forget words - I am looking at the sheet. Then I can already sing without the sheet and I can see words in my imagination, what I am singing.
tadkoks

Previous

Return to Vocabulary Help