EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Everybody is phobic about something

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Re: Everybody is phobic about something

Postby dariakur » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:33 am

I don't belive in phobia. I know that everybody is afraid of something, but for me this is just a fear, natural felling. When you think about it all the time you scare yourself and after many years your brain will be distroyed. This is not suspicious that you think that you have a phobia and you have a panic attack. This is something like reliance on imaging on thinking that this is true and that you have to scared of it. I'm very sceared of spiders. When I was younger I thought that this may be a phobia, but I realized that in fact this is just a creature of my imagination and that's all. So If you think you have a phobia think about my post and consider about it.
dariakur

Postby mcIlob » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:27 pm

I think that almost all humans are scared of sth. Nowadays it is popular to find a phobia for ourselves when in the world there are a lot of different types of phobias, but if we are afraid of sth., it doesn't mean that we have a phobia.
mcIlob

Postby lesoli » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:01 pm

In my opinion it isn't true. I think that everybody is afraid of somethink, but most of them can master it. Some people have phobias. It could be caused by different things. Someone can have phobic about spider. He is all time thinking about it. He can cure by walking on therapy to psychologist. I know people who have been cured of phobias but there are people who haven't been cured and they have phobias still.
lesoli

Postby olamro » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:07 pm

In my opinion everybody is afraid of something, but it doesn’t have to mean, that somebody has a phobia about something. When we don’t think about thing that scared us, we don’t paninc, but when we think everyday how much we are afraid we begin to belive in that. When we encounter with the thing that we are scared of, we become histeric.
olamro

Postby Klaudyna » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:07 pm

I think that everybody is phobic about something because in the world there is no person who wouldn't feel fear of something. Although in my point of view people often don't admit to this or they think that this is a little problem in their life. But in fact it is a big problem because their life is dependent on their phobia and because of this some of them are becoming confined.
Klaudyna

Postby kassliw » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:30 am

I think it would be impossible to prove that everybody has a phobia. I find it highly unlikely that everybody does have a phobia. If you take a logical approach to fear, then anything that may cause harm to you or others would be a legitimate fear, not a phobia.
kassliw

Postby StoKin » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:42 am

In my point of view not all people is phobic about something. For example some people maybe scared of spiders or snakes and when they see it they get goosebumps and they tremble. Then we can say that this people have a phobia. But everybody is scared about something for example bugs. Its disgusting and then we are afraid that it can do something for us. But in my opinion it doesn't phobia but only bias.
StoKin

Postby alicjapie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:47 pm

I agree with the majority. Everyone is afraid of something, but that doesn't mean that each of us has a phobia. Often misuse the words "phobia", for example - "spiders are scary, therefore I have a phobia of spiders". And then it is said that so many people have phobias ... already know why.
alicjapie

Postby Wojteeek » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:17 pm

I also agree with previous users, everybody is afraid of something, but not everyone panics when see source of its fear. For example i used to be afraid of heights but i didn't scream as hell when i was on place like bridge, i just felt uncomfortable but in my opinion it wasn't phobia. To sum up from my point of view most of nowadays fears isn't phobia but just fears.
Wojteeek

Postby wojcieszek » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:31 pm

I think it's normal that everyone is afraid of something. We are only human and not robots so we can feel fear. Most people stop being afraid when they are older or have to face your fears. When I was younger I had a fear of heights. I was afraid to go down the stairs three meter. I still have this fear but to a small extent.
wojcieszek

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion