Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Thanks Mohsen!

Post by behnam »

Hi Mohsen,

Thank you very much for answering the questions and completing the sentences. Your answer were correct.

All the best,
Behnam, 24 August, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Fill in the blanks!(Secret, Rumour and Lie)

Post by behnam »

Hi friends,

Please consider these collocations:

have a secret - keep a secret - tell somebody a secret - a dark secret - an open secret - a closely-guarded secret - one of the best-kept secrets - confirm a rumour - deny a rumour - hear a rumour - start a rumour - rumours go around - tell a lie - believe a lie - spread a lie
Now complete the sentences with the correct form of the above expressions:

1) Why did you have to tell John that I am fancy him? You can't .........., can you?
2) I only .......... my secretes to my best friend.
3) My wife and I are very open with each other. We don't ...........
4) One problem with tracing your family tree is that you might discover some ......... from the past-for example, that your great-grandfather was a murderer.
5) The location of the church where the pop star will get married is a ......... secret.
6) Their affair is an ........... Everybody knows about it, but nobody mentions it.
7) It's a quiet restaurant with the most superb food. It must be on the .......... secrets in Paris. I just hope the guidebooks don't find out about it.
8) We've .......... that the factory is closing. Is there anything in them?
9) In an interview the actress .......... that she will be quitting the show. She said she would be leaving at the end of the current series.
10) There's a rumour .......... that Jim is leaving. Any idea if it's true?.
11) Nobody seems to know who .......... the rumour.
12) A palace press officer has .......... that the royal couple are about to divorce.
13) I always know when he's ........... He never looks me in the eyes.
14) How could she .......... such a pack of lies? It was obvious that he was lying.
15) I'd like to know who is .......... about me around the neighbourhood.

Thank you for following the thread and posts. Good luck with practicing.

All the best,
Behnam, 24 August, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
[amal]
Rising Star
Rising Star

Love has finally succeed!

Post by [amal] »

Hi friends,

How are you?

After two days I have a wedding party and I am sooo excited about it! Because it will happen after a long suffer and many years of rejection, tears and stress. But finally love has won and challenged all the circumstances..

From this story, I have learned that we can achieve whatever we want but it just needs time and being patience. Above that, if we badly want somthing, we should fight for it and don't give up no matter how long it take.

I wish all the best for my best friend "the bride" and wish you all a happy life full of love and joyful days..

Love you,
Amal
Elham
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Let's learn together!

Post by Elham »

Amaaaaaaaaaaaal,

Hiiiiiiiiiiiii, where are you???????????? I miss youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I was shocked reading your post. I thought it's your own wedding!!!!!!!!! I was surprised...
Then I checked my mail and saw your mail till I understand it's your friend's not yours! {-:

i wish to hear about your wedding news soon honey.... Believe me, I do feel your empty place, I misss you and I pray for you....

Love you,
Eli
Elham
Rising Star
Rising Star

Answers

Post by Elham »

Hi,

My correct answers! {-:

1) Why did you have to tell John that I am fancy him? You can't keep a secret, can you?

2) I only tell my secretes to my best friend.

3) My wife and I are very open with each other. We don't have secrets!

4) One problem with tracing your family tree is that you might discover some dark secrets from the past-for example, that your great-grandfather was a murderer.

5) The location of the church where the pop star will get married is a closely-guarded secret.

6) Their affair is an open secret. Everybody knows about it, but nobody mentions it.

7) It's a quiet restaurant with the most superb food. It must be one of the best-kept secrets in Paris. I just hope the guidebooks don't find out about it.

8) We've heard a rumour that the factory is closing. Is there anything in them?

9) In an interview the actress denied the rumour that she will be quitting the show. She said she would be leaving at the end of the current series.

10) There's a rumourgoing around that Jim is leaving. Any idea if it's true?.

11) Nobody seems to know who started the rumour.

12) A palace press officer hasconfirmed a rumour that the royal couple are about to divorce.

13) I always know when he's telling lie. He never looks me in the eyes.

14) How could shebelieve such a pack of lies? It was obvious that he was lying.

15) I'd like to know who is spreading lie about me around the neighbourhood.
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Thanks Elham!

Post by behnam »

Hi Elham,

Thank you very much for completing the sentences. Your answers are correct. Your English is great.

I'd like to draw your attention to the questions 9 and 12. In question 9, the second part plays a key role. In fact, the second sentence helps us choose the correct answer between 'confirmed rumours' and 'denied rumours'. Let's have a look at question 9:

9) In an interview the actress .......... that she will be quitting the show. She said she would be leaving at the end of the current series.

As it is obvious, the actress will leave so the rumours about her are true. Therefore, we should say:
9) In an interview the actress confirmed rumours that she will be quitting the show. She said she would be leaving at the end of the current series.

All your answers would be correct if we could replace the answers of questions 9 and 12!

Al the best,
Behnam, 29 August, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hi Amal!

Post by behnam »

Hi Amal,

It was very nice seeing your new post here and hearing some news about you. It made me happy. Thank you.

I wish you all the best in the world. Stay happy and healthy.

All the best,
Behnam, 29 August, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Fill in the blanks!(Education)

Post by behnam »

Hi friends,

get an education - give you an education - invest in education - return to education - pay for your education - a good education - higher education - nursery education - private education - religious education - secondary education - self education - access to education - the aim of education - standard of educations - the right to education

1) My parents .......... me the best education that money could buy.
2) Parents must make sure that their children .......... a proper education.
3) A growing number of adults are .......... to full-time education.
4) We put some money aside every month to ......... for our daughter's education.
5) The prime minister said that his government will continue to ......... in education.
6) There will be free .......... education for all three-year-old children within five years.
7) Some people think that .......... education is unfair and that we should all have the same educational opportunities.
8) The number of students in .......... education has doubled in the last 10 years.
9) I'm against .......... education in schools. I think it should be done at home.
10) In the UK, most young people receive .......... education in primary school. They learn the facts of life early.
11) Like most parents, I just want my children to have a .......... education.
12) The government wants to make .......... education compulsory up to the age of 18.
13) The cuts in funding will have an effect on the .......... of education in schools.
14) By law all children in the country have the .......... to a free education.
15) One .......... of education must be to teach children to think for themselves.
16) .......... to higher education has improved, with more students now at university.

All the best,
Behnam, 29 August, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
Elham
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elham »

Hi Behnam,

Thanks for new set of questions. I'm confused with some of them ...check my answers and help please...thankssss

1) My parents gave me the best education that money could buy.

2) Parents must make sure that their childrenget a proper education.

3) A growing number of adults are returning to full-time education.

4) We put some money aside every month to pay for our daughter's education.

5) The prime minister said that his government will continue toinvest in education.

6) There will be free nursery education for all three-year-old children within five years.

7) Some people think that private education is unfair and that we should all have the same educational opportunities.

8) The number of students in self education has doubled in the last 10 years.

9) I'm againstreligious education in schools. I think it should be done at home.

10) In the UK, most young people receive.... education in primary school. They learn the facts of life early.

11) Like most parents, I just want my children to have agood education.

12) The government wants to makesecondary education compulsory up to the age of 18.

13) The cuts in funding will have an effect on thestandard of education in schools.

14) By law all children in the country have theright to a free education.

15) One aim of education must be to teach children to think for themselves.

16)Access to higher education has improved, with more students now at university.
Elham
Rising Star
Rising Star

Editing answers!

Post by Elham »

EDITION!

8) The number of students in higher education has doubled in the last 10 years.

10) In the UK, most young people receiveself education in primary school. They learn the facts of life early
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Thanks Elham

Post by behnam »

Hi Elham,

Thank you for answering to the questions. They are all correct. Well done!

All the best,
Behnam, 3 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Fill in the blanks!(Course)

Post by behnam »

Hi friends,

do a course - complete a course - drop out of a course - to enroll for a course - schools run courses - courses consist of (lectures) - courses deal with (subjects) - a crash course - a demanding course - an introductory course - an on-line course - a vocational course - completion of a course - a guide to a course - a place on a course - the entry requirements for a course

1) This language school .......... English courses for complete beginners.
2) Older people are returning to school to .......... courses in using computers.
3) If you .......... the course successfully, you will be awarded a certificate.
4) The course ......... with the fundamentals of car maintenance.
5) It's a difficult course. 50% of the students usually ......... within 3 weeks.
6) The course .......... of a series of lectures with a written exam at the end.
7) It was a very tough and .......... course, but we managed to complete it.
8) I'm going to Japan to work soon, so I'm taking a .......... course in Japanese.
9) I studied art, but most of my friends did .......... course, like nursing.
10) The college runs .......... courses where a lot of the teaching is done through the Internet and E-mail.
11) The .......... course is for those people who have no knowledge or experience of teaching.
12) Make sure you fulfil the entry .......... for the course before you send off the application form.
13) I have a conditional offer of a .......... on a nursing course. I have to pass all my exams this year to be accepted on the course.
14) Our website provides a comprehensive .......... to courses at UK universities.
15) Students are given a certificate on successful .......... completion of the course.
16) A total of 50 students .......... for the course in Electronic.

All the best,
Behnam, 3 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
Mushaf

Post by Mushaf »

1 deals with introductory
2 To do
3 Complete
4 Deal with
5 Drop out of course
6 Deal with
7 A demanding
8 Crash
9 Vocational
10 Online
11 Guide to
12 Requirements
13 An introductory
14 Guide
15 …..
16 enrolled
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Hurieh »

Hi;
I'm a new member in this plateform. I'm so delighted to join you friends. Without any doubt, this will be a wonderful opportunity for me to be with you guys.
First of all, I'd better introduce myself briefly. I'm Hurieh, 24 years old, living in Yazd, originally from Shiraz. I'm a postgraduate student of Critical Nursing Cares and AN ENGLISH LOVER.
I got familiar to this warm and friendly atmosphere by Behnam. I really appreciate him for this.
I hope to be a sincere friend for you guys and a devoted learner. Please accept my friend request and let me learn English as well as you.
Wish to enjoy learning English together.
Best Regards,
Hurieh
September 7th/2014
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Thanks Mushaf!

Post by behnam »

Hi Mushaf,

How are you? I hope all is going well with you. Thank you very much for completing the questions. The majority of answers are correct, but in order to practice more I am writing the complete sentences.

1) This language school runs English courses for complete beginners.
2) Older people are returning to school to do courses in using computers.
3) If you complete the course successfully, you will be awarded a certificate.
4) The course deals with the fundamentals of car maintenance.
5) It's a difficult course. 50% of the students usually drop out within 3 weeks.
6) The course consists of a series of lectures with a written exam at the end.
7) It was a very tough and demanding course, but we managed to complete it.
8) I'm going to Japan to work soon, so I'm taking a crash course in Japanese.
9) I studied art, but most of my friends did vocational courses, like nursing.
10) The college runs on-line courses where a lot of the teaching is done through the Internet and E-mail.
11) The introductory course is for those people who have no knowledge or experience of teaching.
12) Make sure you fulfil the entry requirements for the course before you send off the application form.
13) I have a conditional offer of a place on a nursing course. I have to pass all my exams this year to be accepted on the course.
14) Our website provides a comprehensive guide to courses at UK universities.
15) Students are given a certificate on successful completion of the course.
16) A total of 50 students enrolled for the course in Electronic.

All the best,
Behnam, 8 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Welcome Hurieh!

Post by behnam »

Hi Hurieh,

Welcome to this thread. Thank you very much for joining us. I got surprised when I saw you first post. Your writing is great. I hope we will help each other improve our English language skills through writing and reading in this place.

Please do not hesitate to share your experience in English learning with us. You can set some grammatical questions and ask us to answer them. Dear Setayesh used to do that, although for a very short time. It seems she is busy these days.

I hope to read more from you.

All the best,
Behnam, 8 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Announcement!

Post by behnam »

Hi friends,

Many thanks for following this thread. By the grace of God, I will post the new set of questions about 'lesson' tomorrow. Please do not lose contact with the thread! :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best,
Behnam, 8 September 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Hurieh »

Hi dear Behnam,

Thank you very much for your welcoming and praising my writing .I have no word to express my special gratitude. Your page is great and seems you and your cool friends are really literate based on your former posts. It's my pleasure to be a member of this unique and exclusive group.

I'm not completely familair to your methods and interest. please let me know what I should do exactly...Although I've never been a good follower, but I hope to keep up with you properly... {-; ...When I entered a group I tried to change their atmosphere for the sake of diversity with respect to their rules and opinions...I can't stand routine and traditional methods .I hardly get habituated to something and follow it for a long time. If I were successful in making a new approach in a group I would stay there, Otherwise I would abandon there. Routine affairs kill my talents, skills and abilities and in contrast, diversity revive me. I also do respect to the rules of your group and never expect you to confirm my whole ideas.Dear Behnam, I hope you look at the half full of the glass not half empty, and never consider it rude. In my opinion, by dividing responsibilities and creating new methods learning process will become more exciting and efficient.
As you well know, native English speakers use pharsal verbs more in their speech. I like to learn different phrasal verbs in sentence structures as much as I can. I also like to learn different and unknown expressions and idioms. I will adhere to your rules and laws.
I'm not sure whether or not you agree. I'm waiting for your permission.
Regards,
Hurieh.September 9th/2014
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Fill in the blanks!(Lesson)

Post by behnam »

Hi friends,

have lessons - skip a lesson - prepare a lesson - teach someone a lesson - begin/start a lesson - give lessons - catch up with your lessons - a lesson about something - a lesson with someone - during a lesson - in a 40-minute lesson - the aims of the lesson - the point of a lesson - the start of the lesson - the main points of the lesson

1) Teacher's salaries are very low, so I'm .......... private lessons at weekends.
2) The teacher is terrible. I don't think he .......... his lessons carefully enough.
3) I got into trouble when my father found out that I had been .......... lessons.
4) My English teacher always ......... his lessons with a warm-up exercise.
5) My brother is determined to be an actor so he's ......... lessons in dreams.
6) I was off school for 5 weeks, so I have quite a few lessons to .......... up with.
7) We've got a lesson .......... Mrs Zunobi this afternoon.
8) You can't expect to learn everything about computing .......... a one-hour lesson.
9) The lesson was .......... the rise and fall of the Roman Empire.
10) No talking is allowed .......... the lesson.
11) Somebody needs to .......... in how to be polite to customers!.
12) The teacher started by going over the main .......... of yesterday's lesson.
13) I just don't see .......... of this lesson.
14) It always takes the students a while to settle down at the .......... of the lesson.
15) The .......... of my lesson was to get students talking.

Consider the following sentences and choose 'lesson or class' to fill in the blanks. When do we use lesson and when do we use class?
16) I'm having driving .......... from my uncle.
17) The school runs evening .......... throughout the year.
18) I think Jack is going to need some private .......... if he's going to have any chance of passing A level maths!
19) The teacher dismissed the .......... early because she had a meeting.
20) I have Electronics .......... at 14:00 on Wednesdays.

All the best,
Behnam, 9 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hi Hurieh!

Post by behnam »

Hi Hurieh,

How are you? I hope you are doing great. Thank you for the reply.

Actually, we haven't got any rules, regulations, laws, limitations, restrictions or whatever you call it. However, according to our bitter experience, politics and religion are two heated topics. These topics create tension, violence, and conflict. Amazingly, that's difficult to convince someone of political and religious issues. In fact, nobody gets convinced of those things. Therefore, that's peaceful and wise to avoid writing about these topics. By the way, degrading women is not acceptable. In addition to them, porn and dirty jokes are not allowed in accordance with an unwritten law that we all obey! {-:

When it comes to practising English, there is no limitations and restrictions on the skills. You can focus on phrasal verbs, grammars, collocations, idioms, proverbs, etc.

All the best,
Behnam, 10 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Hurieh »

Hi Behnam;

I'm quite well, up to my eyes in my thesis. I hope life is treating you well. Thanks for your replying and accepting my suggestion.
You are completely right. Discussing those controversial issues is completely wasting time and also unacceptable. I'll adhere to everyones's beliefs, attitudes whatnot. In psychology there is a rule that says "The best way for avoiding any conflict and quarrel is to keep from convincing others. The more we try to convince them to reject their ideas and confirm us, the more we will run in to failure.Because noboby likes to accept his/her failure."
I'll do my best to make you and our friends satisfied.

Regards;
Hurieh
Sep 10th/2014
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Expressions

Post by Hurieh »

Hi friends;
In this post we're gonna learn some expressions which are followed with examples. I draw your attention to these four expressions bellow. They're as easy as a piece of cake. You might be familiar with them. Look over and use them in your daily conversations.
==============================================================
1) Be in the same boat = Be in the same unpleasant situation

ex1: I'll have to stay up all night to study for that exam
I'm in the same boat !I'll have to stay up,too
Why don't we study together?
ex2: I can't believe that we got a flat tire.
Look across the street .those people are in the same boat.
2) I have news for you = I have something to tell you

ex: He just told me that I won't be able to work here anymore.
I have news for you. He just told the same thing to twenty other people.
=============================================================
3) Write something down = Write on a piece of paper

ex: My phone number is 642-5933.Can you remember that?
Probably not.I'd better write it down.do you have a pen?

NOTE:To write something is not exactly the same.you write a letter,but you don't write down a letter.you write down specific information such as phone numbers, addresses, notes, etc,in order to remember it.

4) Be going on = Be happening

ex1: What's going on in here?who are all these people?
Oh,hi,dad.we're having a party.I hope It's ok...
ex2: What's new?
Oh,there's so much going on.my sister just had a baby,our dog ran away.
We're going to move.

Good luck
Hurieh;
Sep 10th/ 2014
setayesh

Post by setayesh »

Hi Mushaf,

I’m so sorry for being late in answering you. These days I’m so busy with everything in my life. I’m so happy seeing you active in this thread. Dear Mushaf I’m an Iranian girl and I’m living in Tehran. I saw that you’ve written about your major! Great! You’re studying business studies! It’s a very good major. Specially for ladies, although I don’t have any idea about your gender! As your major relates to business I wonder if there is any special working situation that you are fancy to work in at?

Thanks a lot for reading
Waiting to hear more about you.

Best wishes
Seti
setayesh

Post by setayesh »

Hi Hurieh,

Thanks for joining us. I’m so proud of this thread which has gathered all knowledgeable, educated and intellectual people together. I’m very grateful to dear Behnam who has given us this chance to make friend with such nice people like you around the world. Dear Hurie, I’ve read some of your posts on FB. Your English is incredibly good! I’m so happy that you are here, it let us learn a lot of new thing from you.

Oh I talked a lot without introducing myself! My name is Setayesh I’m 26 years old and, I’m living in Tehran. I’ve studied Accounting and it’s nearly 6 months that I’ve graduated from Master course. I really love English. Every other days after working hours, I go to English class.It gives me a good chance not be away from English lessons.

Thank you so much for sharing those useful expressions with us.

All the best
Seti
Elham
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elham »

Dear Hurie,

Welcome to our lovely thread.Honestly, reading your posts I couldn't help feeling jealous of your English {-; You have written so well. Well done. :-D

It's so nice to have you with with us here and practice English together. We ca also exchange ideas about different topics and learn from each other. You should have seen old days of our thread when it was very very busy and we would talk on many many topics, good old days...

But I believe every single person is a world by him/her self, also a new book. One of the most enjoyable things for me in life is to read others' books. As a matter of fact, not every one's book is interesting, at least fr me; but I smell your book to be worth reading, or at least go through it's pages and take a look depending on how much you let us! :-D

By the way, I'm Elham, 25 year old from Esfahan.I've studied Chemical Engineering and at the present I'm looking for job. I'm glad to make friend with you.

Hope to read more from you,

Eli
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Hurieh »

Dear friends;
Setayesh and Elham

I'm so pumped and excited of your hospitality that i can't express my feeling. Now I'm feeling such a bird that's flying in the air , near clouds...I have no words to express my sincere thanks; not only to you but also to dear Behnam who has gathered us here. I confess "YOU ARE ALL GREAT".
You praised my literacy, while your English is much better and you are also highly educated in your own majors . It's really nice of you. I'm so delighted to have such nice friends . Your statements were full of marvelous and friendly feeling that I could sense it apparently at the bottom of my heart, even through virtual space.
Dear Elham, you are ABSOLUTELY right. As we read in Imam Ali's Nahjolbalaghe, everyone is like a unique world. I DO believe this and this is why I like to hang out with different people with different thoughts, attitudes,social position ,age whatnot. Everyone has his/her flavour . Infact they look at the world from their own perspective. I try to hang out with them to learn at least a good tip of them. Altough i have lots of friends (loyal friends) arround myself, but i confess your friendship is something else. It's a great chance for me to expand the range of my friendship circle and have such educated and sincere friends even far from myself.
Dear Setayesh i really appreciate you for prising my comments on FB . I like to get acquainted to you and daer Elham much more. Although I'm a bit tied up these days, but I'll try to get in touch with you more by writing on this threads.
I wish all the best for both of you. Dear Elham I also wish you could find your favorite job as soon as possible, the one that you really deserve it.
Take care of yourself dear friends as much as a person who care about you hundreds Kilometer away , or even further.

Your's sincerely;
Hurieh
Sep 11th/2014
Elham
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elham »

Hi dear Hurie,

right now I lost a long post I had written to you :-( I'm angry and to be hoest I don't feel like writing it word by word again, so I make it short...

Thanks for your warm and friendly post.Your reply really motivated me write. It means a lot to me cause it was a long time I really wanted but was not motivated and your posts energized me again, thanks {-; :-D

Tomorrow I'm going to a 3-day trip and after that next week I'll be here to enjoy writing to and reading from you...

Best wishes,
Eli
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Hurieh »

Hi dear Elham,
Why anger..Take it easy and never worry about it..you have already proved your sincerity to me...I look forward to seeing you back. I have alot to share with you. Have a nice trip ahead. try to enjoy every moment of it.
Regards;
Hurieh
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Fill in the blanks!(Lesson)

Post by behnam »

Hi friends,

How are you? I hope you are enjoying every minute of your life. The autumn is coming. I can smell the smell of it in Tehran now. That's my favourite season. I love fall(but not falling) very much! {-:
Nobody is going to compete the questions about lesson??? :-(

I will write the answers in the evening.

All the best,
Behnam, 12 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Phrasal Verbs With GO

Post by Hurieh »

Hi friends;

How are things??? In this post we're gonna learn phrasal verbs with "Go". As we all know, phrasal verbs consist a verb + preposition. Below you'll find definitions of the phrasal verbs with go plus an example that follows. Look over the list and then I'll post some exercise to see how well you know these phrasal verbs.
===================================================================================

GO AWAY = leave

I made the neighbor kids go away by yelling at them.
GO BACK = return

When are you going back to school?
GO BACK ON = not keep a promise or ones word

It's hard doing business with them. They always go back on their promises.

GO DOWN
= decrease or reduce

The cost of gasoline is going down.
GO FOR = A. try to achieve B. enjoy having

A. She is going for the gold medal at the national championships.
B. It's so hot out. I could really go for an ice cold glass of lemonade.

GO IN FOR = take part in; participate

Are you going in for football this year after school?
GO INTO = discuss in detail or at length

She didn't go into the reasons for the move.
GO OFF = A. explode B. begin, start (with alarms or signals) C. become angry quickly D. stop (of a machine)

A. The bomb could go off at any moment.
B. The air raid signal went off and scared everyone in the room.
C. He went off in a flash when he heard the news. I've never seen him so upset.
D. The generator went off and we can't get it started again.

GO ON = A. continue B. happen

A. Do go on! I could listen to you sing all day.
B. What's been going on here this morning? This place looks like a pig pen.

GO ON WITH = continue as planned

I think we should go on with the lesson after break.
GO OUT = A. fire stops burning B. social activities; a date

A. The fire went out because we ran out of fuel for it.
B. They love to go out on weekends to the movies.

GO OVER
= A. review B. succeed; be received well

A. Do you usually go over the tests in class?
B. The comedian's joke didn't go over well with that crowd last night.

GO THROUGH = A. examine, study carefully B. endure; experience difficulties

A. I need to have my lawyer go through this contract before I sign it.
B. I would never want to go through what she has.
GO THROUGH WITH = proceed despite difficulties

I have decided to go through with the move to Berlin.
GO WITH = A. match or suit B. accompany someone C. have as boyfriend or girlfriend

A. That blouse doesn't go with that skirt.
B. I am going with Jill to school.
C. Sarah is going with John. They make a cute couple.

GO WITHOUT = abstain from; not use or need

A camel can go without water for many, many days.

===================================================================================
Good luck with practising
Hurieh;
Sep 12th/2014
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Go on Hurieh!

Post by behnam »

Hi Hurieh,

So many thanks for your useful posts. Please continue putting posts about phrasal verbs.

I hope to hear more from you.

All the best,
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Answers(Lesson)

Post by behnam »

Hi friends,

Here are the answers to the questions about lesson.

1) Teacher's salaries are very low, so I'm giving private lessons at weekends.
2) The teacher is terrible. I don't think he prepares his lessons carefully enough.
3) I got into trouble when my father found out that I had been skipping lessons.
4) My English teacher always starts his lessons with a warm-up exercise.
5) My brother is determined to be an actor so he's having lessons in dreams.
6) I was off school for 5 weeks, so I have quite a few lessons to catch up with.
7) We've got a lesson with Mrs Zunobi this afternoon.
8) You can't expect to learn everything about computing in a one-hour lesson.
9) The lesson was about the rise and fall of the Roman Empire.
10) No talking is allowed during the lesson.
11) Somebody needs to teach him a lesson in how to be polite to customers!.
12) The teacher started by going over the main points of yesterday's lesson.
13) I just don't see the point of this lesson.
14) It always takes the students a while to settle down at the start of the lesson.
15) The the main aim of my lesson was to get students talking.

Class is used for the group of people who are taught together.
16) I'm having driving lessons from my uncle.
17) The school runs evening classes throughout the year.
18) I think Jack is going to need some private lessons if he's going to have any chance of passing A level maths!
19) The teacher dismissed the class early because she had a meeting.
20) I have Electronics class at 14:00 on Wednesdays.

Good luck with practising.

All the best,
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi Behnam

Post by Hurieh »

Hi Behnam;

It's ok. I'm supposed to thank you for your GREAT thread. It caused me to go back to English after a couple of time. I hope to be more active in this elite group. I wish happiness for you and our friends. Have lovely days in upcoming season.

Regards,
Hurieh
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Phrasal verbs with GO: Exercise

Post by Hurieh »

Hi dear friends;

How's your practising going? I hope you've gone through my third to the last post carefully and found it useful. It was related to phrasal verbs with Go. I promised you to post some exercise for more practising. I didn't go back on my promise. Now I draw you attention to these questions. The answers are given at the end of this post.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A: without - B: off - C: over - D: back - E: into - F: with - G: down - H: back on - I: for - J: through - K: on with

Q1- It's getting late; I think we should go ....... home now.
Q2 - I was really surprised when my dog attacked the postman; he really went .... him.
Q3 - She went ........ her notes before the exam to try to learn every last detail.
Q4 - The price of petrol went ..... last week when the Government reduced the price.
Q5 - I feel so guilty because he spoke about killing himself, but I never thought that he would go ..... with it.
Q6 - My alarm clock went ....... at 7 am.
Q7 - Do brown shoes go ...... a light-grey suit?
Q8- I went........ food once for three days. It was actually kind of nice.
Q9- Let's go ....... the party as planned. I'm sure we'll find another band.
Q10- He went....... his word and broke the contract he had signed.
Q11- He didn't go....... any detail. He just said they were getting a divorce.

Answers: Q1:D- Q2: I - Q3:C - Q4: G- Q5: J- Q6:B - Q7:F - Q8:A - Q9: K - Q10: H - Q11: E
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

All the best;
Hurieh
Sep 13th/2014
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Common mistakes (using suggest correctly)

Post by Hurieh »

Hi dear friends;

What are you up to? There is no one here to show his/her feedback. I'm begining to think you'd fallen off the face of the earth and I'm alone here. But I won't give up.
I wanna share a simple tip with you. It doesn't hurt taking a short glance. check it out.
I'll explain how to use "suggest" correctly in our speechs. Look at these two sentences bellow.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:nok: I hope you suggest us a good chinese resaurant.
:ok: I hope you suggest a good chinese resaurant.

:idea: know you must have got it's tip. We never use objects after "suggest" . We just offer an idea.
More examples:

:ok: We had no plan until peter suggested that we go to the new Japanese restaurant.
:ok: Can you suggest some spicy dishes ?
:ok: The nurse suggested not eating spicy foods.
Note:
1) The verb followed suggest should be gerund (verb+ing) .
2) Another verb with the same meaning is "recommend" that follows this rule too.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It was so easy. No sweat.
Good luck
Hurieh;
sep 14th/2014
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

You are not alone Hurieh!

Post by behnam »

Hi Hurieh,

So many thanks for your interesting and useful posts. You are not alone, because at least 100 people visit this thread every day. Please keep on posting, surely the learners are interested in them. I am one of the learners, so obviously you are not alone. I read your posts carefully. :-D

All the best,
Behnam, 14 September, 2014

P.S. I will post a new set of questions about 'practice and homework' tomorrow!
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
Mushaf

Post by Mushaf »

hi Behnam
i am fine . i am really happy to be part of this thread. coming to this thread feels like home where our friends are posting useful posts. thank you Behnam for giving us this opportunity to meet wonderful people all across the world through this thread.
i am waiting for new set of questions by you.i hope this time my all answers will be correct :)
happy Autumn to you Behnam . hope you will enjoy this season and every day of your life with health and prosperity
Here winters are about to come after one month .
take care :)
14 september 2014
Mushaf

Post by Mushaf »

setayesh wrote:Hi Mushaf,

I’m so sorry for being late in answering you. These days I’m so busy with everything in my life. I’m so happy seeing you active in this thread. Dear Mushaf I’m an Iranian girl and I’m living in Tehran. I saw that you’ve written about your major! Great! You’re studying business studies! It’s a very good major. Specially for ladies, although I don’t have any idea about your gender! As your major relates to business I wonder if there is any special working situation that you are fancy to work in at?

Thanks a lot for reading
Waiting to hear more about you.

Best wishes
Seti
hi setayesh
how are you? thanks for your message
yes i am female .
its nice to know that you are from Iran. i really like people of Iran. They are really very nice , polite and helpful. i would love to know about your subjects .

best wishes
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Fill in the blanks!(Practice and homework)

Post by behnam »

Hi friends,

need practice - have practice - improve with practice - learn through practice - come with practice - give you practice - it takes(years) of practice - be out of practice - It's just a question of practice - practice makes perfect - give homework - get some practice - do your homework - correct homework - hand in your homework - help you with your homework

1) Using a mouse is the easier thing in the world once you've .......... some practice.
2) This exercise .......... students practice in using the past tense
3) Most trainee teachers .......... practice in writing on a blackboard.
4) Don't worry. Your English will ......... with practice.
5) Playing the piano is the kind of skill that only ......... with years of practice.
6) You get knowledge from books, but skills can only be .......... through practice.
7) Your English will improve if you work hard. Speak as much as you can. ...........
8) I'll try to use my French, but I'm a bit ...........
9) Don't give up. Driving is just a ...........
10) If you want to learn to play the piano, it'll take ...........
11) You can't watch TV until you've .......... all your homework.
12) He never manages to .......... in his homework on time.
13) You .......... more homework at secondary school that at primary school.
14) The English teacher .......... the whole class extra homework for misbehaving.
15) My brother used to .......... me with my homework, but he's gone to university.
16) Our teacher .......... our homework during the lunch hour, then gave it back to us.

Thank you for following the thread and posts. Please participate actively in answering questions and posting things about English that help the learners with improving their English skills. Good luck with practicing!

All the best,
Behnam, 15 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
Mushaf

Post by Mushaf »

My answers
1 Got
2 Improve
3 Need
4 Improve
5 Learn through
6 Learn
7 Practice makes perfect
8 Out of practice
9 Question of practice
10 Years of practice
11 Done
12 Hand
13 Do
14 Give
15 Help
16 correct
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi dear friends

Post by Hurieh »

Hi dear friends,

How are things? I hope everything is going well with you. I've been meaning to set a new grammatical post, but I was away yesterday . Altought I had a fairly interesting and historic day, but I missed you too. Keep waiting to see my new set of grammatical tips in upcoming days.
Till next, Bye .
Hurieh;
Sep 16th/2014
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Welcome dear Mushaf

Post by Hurieh »

My dear friend;

Mushaf
Nice to meet you. It's my pleasure seeing you here. I also joined here afew days ago. You can see my short biography on page 167.
I found this thread really helpful to enhance my knowledge. And of course it's members are really friendly, easygoing and great to be with that you also had mentioned in your post. we can freely exchange our experiences, ideas, knowledge so on, without any hesitacy.
Altough I believe It's better to be silent and look dumb to everyone rather than being gossip and talkative in case we don't have anything worth to say, But in learning English process it's compeletely reverse. Being a good listeners could be an art in our social relationships, but in case of learning English being more and more talkative is much better. There is no fear of beinng accused of a talkative fellow in this case. So lets share our ideas with each other as much as we can.
I'm really interested in getting acquainted to you and still don't know any thing about your interests, passion so on. I hardly confine myself to any specific topic, because I'm usually looking for diversity.(In fact I'm jack of all threads, master of none {-; )... But In general, I like psychology too much. Since psychologists mainly concentrate on social behaviors and human's communications, they try to socialize to different people. I'm a bit conversant with medical context, Since I've been studying nursing as my academic major. I also devoted my time reading different religous and psychological books for a few years ago. Then I decided to try English too. I'm not sure what the next one will be. Maybe art. Who knows!!!

Dear Mushuf, my friends and I are really willing to read your posts and your ideas, although they might have been busy these days struggling with ups and downs of their lives. Please give us this opportunity to practise our English on you more and more.
Looking forward to reading your posts.

Best regards,
Hurieh
Sep 16th/2014
Mohsen
Top Contributor
Top Contributor
Location: No.7,Charso lane,walk down,You’ll arrive to the garden of sense,Naghshejahan square,Esfahan,Iran

Post by Mohsen »

Hi Behnam,

I have painted myself into a corner that I want to hide myself for a while. I am not a leader that these people have rallied around me. Everyday a new problem ,I am moody ,I don’t want the heaven, donate it to others who deserve it. Some friends ask me to interfere in things which doesn't concern to me. I am not a consultant, how can I settle down their life. But I can’t say no to people who ask for help .

Yesterday he came at the door and start opening his heart for me. The problem is that his wife is working out in an org,has no time to cook at house . my friend is working in Electric company ,work in shift ,so he is at home many days ,he cook for lunch oftentimes ,care children because his wife is not at home. he asked his wife to left her work and stay at home , because they don’t need money, but his wife didn’t accept it. They have quarreled many times since 7 years ago, he told me I am bearing this life because of two innocence children. He tries to hide the sadness from his parents and other relatives. Some people prefer to speak with their friends than parents. He cries when speaking. He labeled himself as a failure and accept the measurable prophecy for his life . Does divorce is the final way?

Best wishes
Mohsen
Mustafa Mohseni Isfahani
setayesh

Post by setayesh »

Dear Hurieh

Hi! How are you? I hope everything is going well with you. Thank you so much for being active at this Let’s learn together garden. I am so sorry if I could not write to so sooner. I was so busy with my job and studies and having problem with internet connection! However, now I’m here. Thanks God!

This is September and summer is almost over. And Autumn is coming soon. How was your summer? How did you pass it? Do you have any special plan for following months?

Impatiently waiting to hear about you.

All the best,
Seti
Mushaf

Post by Mushaf »

hi Hurieh
nice to meet you. sorry for my late "HI"
i have noticed your remarkable work for this thread. if you ask about my english then i am hopeless to improve my english. because i am too much occupied with tense usage that i cant concentrate . so many questions wander in my mind about English so i am asking you one of those questions
whats the difference between had been and have been usage?
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re:Dear Setayesh...

Post by Hurieh »

My dear Setayesh,
Hi

Thank you very much for your update and warm greeting. You can't imagine how much I'm glad to see you back. Although I know It's only been about a week since I saw your last post, but It sounds like such a long time I haven't seen you. You were greatly missed darling.
You asked me to describe my summer vacation. Your question was so interesting and nostalgic to me, since it remindes me of my schooltime that I was supposed to describe my whole summer as a composition on a sheet of paper with the title "How do you describe your summer vacation ?".
You know, our lives are the story of ups and downs and nobody is exception of this basic and primary rule. So there is no point in complaining about people, situations, objects whatnot. I won't go into the details. In general, my summer was both interesting and stressful. It's bright and dark aspects turned it to a grey-color memory in my mind. My misfortunes led to the priceless experiences and lessons that strengthened my patience, decision making skills and mind, while it's fortunes helped and motivated me to keep going.
We had a brutal and hot summer in Yazd as usual, but I spent nearly all weekends out. I also got this chance to do whatever I liked.
Although my summer wasn't quite perfect, but it was such relaxation time after nearly two years studying, working on thesis and training juniors all at the same time and without any pause. That to years passed so difficult that I can hardly compare it to any period of my life. Infact this summer even with it's misfortunes gave me the sense of drinking a glass of cold lemonade while lying down on a sofa and listening to a light music in a balcony which overlooks a nice and fully green garden at a terrible summer.
Summer is almost over and my highest priority is graduating from university as soon as possible. Because I'm so bored of studying for about 18 years in a row. I still don't have any particular plan after graduating. I hope to be offered a high grade and well paid job. {-; .. Otherwise I'll follow my favorite activities.
Now it's your turn dear setayesh. Put me in the picture and let me know whether you enjoyed your summer. I hope you've experienced an unforgetable and lovely summer. Meanwhile, I hope you break a leg with your performance and get more successes in all aspects of your life.

Your friend,
Hurieh
Sep 18th/14
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Dear Mushaf

Post by Hurieh »

Hi dear mushaf,

Thank you for your compliment . I'm not that good . I'm also a learner who is taking her first steps in learning English. Dear Mushaf it's not necessary to stop your life and get yourself busy with English all the time . It's important to keep learning even with lower speed. But try not to go back or feel frustrated. Bear in your mind that learning English is a fun .
Dear friend,your question is twofold. Because those verb structures you mentioned could be used in different situations. I mean we could use them as present/past perfect or present /past perfect continuous depending on the verbs follow them. I'll clarify them in examples bellow.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

present perfect : It points at an action that has completed in the past (a finished action).

ex1: I've seen him twice.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
present perfect continuous: refers to an unfinished action. I mean it aims at a situation that began in the past and still is going and even my continue in the future.

ex2: I've been studynig nursing in a college.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Past perfect: points at an action that was finished before another action in the past.
ex3: When I arrived they had whatched TV.
This is the order of both actions: (First they were watching TV. Then I arrived.)

Got it???
I hope my explanations were clear enough. Try to be active in this thread,even by dropping a line.Because we'll miss you alot..

Good luck,
Hurieh
Sep 18th/14
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Thanks Mushaf!

Post by behnam »

Hi Mushaf,

Thank you very much for completing the questions. You answers are correct. Well done!

You said winter is coming? Really? How? That's interesting. Maybe you are living in an equatorial country!

I will post a new set of questions soon.

All the best,
Behnam, 18 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hi Mohsen!

Post by behnam »

Hi Mohsen,

You cannot imagine how happy I was when I saw your post? Where are you man? I'd missed you terribly.

Surely, that's very nice of you to be so trustworthy that your friends share their private things about their lives with you. However, the negative impacts of knowing the sad things about society cannot be denied.

Dear Mohsen, unfortunately the world has changed. We(you and I) belong to previous generations. I am not in the mood for digging this topic so deeply or even to write about it, however, due to the respect I have for you, I don't leave your question unanswered. In my opinion, stubborn women must be left alone! There is no way to convince them. It is a total waste of time, effort, money, and energy to speak about logic to someone who is illogical! Divorce is the only way to get rid of such people. Mothers are supposed to love their children instinctively; much more than fathers actually. However, amazingly and strangely, their instinctive love is manipulated! Remove your shoes and throw them away when they are tight and uncorrectable. {-: {-: {-: :lol: {-: {-: {-:

Women must know, if there is a competition between men and women in cruelty, men will win it! :lol:

All the best,
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Something is forgotten!

Post by behnam »

Dear Mohsen, I've forgotten to say that walking in bare feet is better than wearing uncomfortable shoes! {-: :lol: {-:

About children, if they are females, your friend should give them to his unkind wife, because an unkind wife cannot give birth to kind daughters. Upbringing such unkind girls is an unforgivable act of treachery. Why? Well, clearly these two girls will make two men miserable in the future! LOL! :lol: {-: :lol:

If they are males, well, he has to keep them with himself, unfortunately, but a wise man pays money monthly(after divorce of course), instead of upbringing children! Leave these things to women and enjoy your life with another lady! This is what I've learned from westerners. :lol: {-: :lol: Don't blame me man! Good things must be learned, even though you learn them from your sworn enemies! {-:

I hope you've gotten the answer! Hhhhhhh...

All the best,
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *