EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Should pet owners be responsible for their pets' behaviour?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Should pet owners be responsible for their pets' behaviour?

Postby TalkingPoint » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:33 am

Pets sometimes attack people and injure or kill them. Should pet owners be held responsible? Should dangerous pets be kept on leads or muzzled in public? Should dangerous pets be put down?

English Checker
pet: a domestic or tamed animal that people have (usually in their house) for companionship or pleasure
to hold (somebody) responsible for: to consider that somebody is the primary cause of
behaviour (AmE behavior): the way in which a person or animal acts or responds to something
lead: (mainly BrE) a strap or cord for restraining and guiding a dog or other animal
to muzzle: to fit a guard over an animal's mouth to stop it biting
to put down: to kill an animal because it is sick, injured, old or dangerous
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Pet is people's good friend

Postby jwr1919 » Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:28 pm

I have a lovely dog when i was a kid,long tail with puff hair,deeply i loved it.It never attact people unless he felt to be in danger. However,It was killed by a young boy because of my dog happened to bite him
jwr1919

Postby rodgers » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:21 am

I agree with yours.pet are always pet.Though it may be educated by people,it still just an animal.Maybe you love dog or cat,but you should keep it not to attact other people.
Last edited by rodgers on Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
rodgers

Pets and responsibility

Postby Charlie » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:47 am

:o Pets are used in all parts of the world to help others. And the majority of the pets in the world are well trained to serve mankind in one way or another.

The biggest problem with some pets, are not the animals themselves, but the owners. Owners ho do not take responsibility to train their pets as well as keeping their pets under control. The responsibility lies with the owner when a pet injures another living thing; not the pet. :P
Charlie

animals and animosity

Postby titi » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:22 am

Keeping animals as pets is not a common phenomenon with us Africans consequently it would be quite for us to have these pets muzzled or with leads,because we fear it might harm somebody and put us into unnecessary problems.
It is important however that owner of pets train them adequately if they don,t feel like having them muzzled or with leads.
titi

It depends...

Postby Prometheus » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:34 am

In my opinion it depends on the situation. For example, if my dog had attacked and killed Mother Teresa, then I should have been held responsible. But if my dog attacked and killed George Bush Jnr (or Snr for that matter) then George Bush should be held responsible (posthumously, of course) and I should be given a Nobel prize.
Prometheus

animals & animosity

Postby moi » Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:37 am

[size=18][color=darkred]
:lol: I apppreciate the humour of Prometheus, and I'm agree with him.

:P I have got a dog (a retriever), It's 8 years.
Each days evening, we walk together an half hour.
When we were in the street, I put the lead arround his neck, and it take the other end of the lead between its jaws.
Always, it stay near me.I have a great trust in it.

I think that depends of the dog and of course of the owner.
:o But in any cases the owner must be aware responsable.[/url]
moi

dogs

Postby juliapet » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:44 am

:idea: I think that people must not take fighting dogs as pets. Or these owners must be very responsible for special training of their dogs and watch them very carefully. Owners who don't look after their dangerous dogs good enough must be punished (a jail is crying about them...).
I have a 8-years-old dog. Great Dane. This is a very friendly, very calm dog, good trained in a dog school, and I trust her very much. But I never allow her to run without lead if anybody is around me. People can be just scaried.
I do not understand why some people give a lot of freedom to Bullterrier, Bullmustiff, Staffordshire Bull Terrier or Akita dog only because they (owners) think that their dogs are kind and friendly (They say:"He is 5 years old, and we never had any accident with him"). Stupid people! Don't they know that they shouldn't trust these dogs? Nobody knows what they will decide next minute! Before buying a dog, everybody should ask, "Am I the person for this dog?"
Every dog can become dangerous in bad hands. Owners of big dogs should give particular attention to their pets.

I am against killing of old dogs. May be only if they(dogs) are paralized, I can understand the owners.
juliapet

animals

Postby hhabrey » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:05 am

hi there. firt of all i want to thank the members and the stuff of the English club for there services to us, i want to say that may english is improving.
about the topic having animals as pets is a good idea in one way and bad in the other. We can use animals in hunting and security as dogs can do or having fun with them or helping the blind peaple to week the street. on the other hand they can cast alot of diseases for the oner and harm others.
in conclusion animals can be good in somethings and bad in others but in my opinon i thinks that they are useful to us
peace yow

HHabrey :D
hhabrey

pets behavior...

Postby amartinla » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:05 am

Hi all,

I don't have a pet, but I think it's all on the owners education.
Sometimes, pets can be dangerous, but humans are even more dangerous.
Governements should improve actions to educate owners in order to prevent inappropiate behavior.

Best regards,

AM
amartinla

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion