EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

What is the latest book you have read recently?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby Arale » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:15 am

What is the latest book you have read recently? Tell your friends here. I have just finished an "old" book but it is the latest book I have read. It is "Greek myth". Oh, it tooks me some weeks to read but I bet it is worth reading. I guess you read it already, didn't you? I am so impressed by the way Athena-Goddess of wisdom was born. She was born from her Dad-Zeus's HEAD. :roll: :o

_Arale_
Last edited by Arale on Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:55 am

I've just finished reading a book called "The Color of Water:A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother" by James McBride. It's about,
The Color of Water tells the remarkable story of Ruth McBride Jordan, the two good men she married, and the 12 good children she raised. Ruth McBride Jordan, born Rachel Shilsky, a Polish Jew, immigrated to America soon after birth; as an adult she moved to New York City, leaving her family and faith behind in Virginia. Jordan met and married a black man, making her isolation even more profound. The book is a success story, a testament to one woman's true heart, solid values, and indomitable will. Ruth Jordan battled not only racism but also poverty to raise her children and, despite being sorely tested, never wavered. In telling her story--along with her son's--The Color of Water addresses racial identity with compassion, insight, and realism. It is, in a word, inspiring, and you will finish it with unalloyed admiration for a flawed but remarkable individual. And, perhaps, a little more faith in us all.
(http://www.amazon.com)
This is a part in the book that I've found is truly inspiration.
"You're a human being," she snapped. "Educate yourself or you'll be a nobody!"

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby crazyoddygal » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:37 pm

i'm reading that Greek Myth desperately, too T_T i remember one deity was born from Zeus's thigh >"< unbelievable. marriage between mother and sons, siblings, father and daughter, etc. 8) nevertheless, that book is somehow interesting as it provides me some useful background knowledge.
ashes to ashes
dust to dust ...
crazyoddygal
Silver Member

Re: What is the latest book you have read recently?

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:01 am

crazyoddygal wrote:
Arale wrote:What is the latest book you read recently? Tell your friends here. I have just finished an "old" book but it is the latest book I have read. It is "Greek myth". Oh, it tooks me some weeks to read but I bet it is worth reading. I guess you read it already, didn't you? I am so impressed by the way Athena-Goddess of wisdom was born. She was born from her Dad-Zeus's HEAD. :shock:

_Arale_

i'm reading that Greek Myth desperately, too T_T i remember one deity was born from Zeus's thigh >"< unbelievable. marriage between mother and sons, siblings, father and daughter, etc. 8) nevertheless, that book is somehow interesting as it provides me some useful background knowledge.

:D since you two are reading this book and you both think it's good, I think I should give it a try then.

Postby nien » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:19 am

The lates book I've read ... it would be Charles Dicken's Oliver Twist. But now, I'm reading it again as so many words I didn't understand, ugh, it's British English.
But before that, I read Musashi, a legendary samurai once lived in Japan who wrote The Book of Five Rings.
nien
Silver Member

Postby luckygirl9 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:38 am

I love reading books&magazines,and the recent book I've finished should be ......the Davinci code!Well if you had read,maybe you would think it fantastic and I just got such feelings.But I haven't got enough time to confirm lots of facts mentioned in it. :?:
luckygirl9
Silver Member

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:33 am

luckygirl9 wrote:I love reading books&magazines,and the recent book I've finished should be ......the Davinci code!Well if you had read,maybe you would think it fantastic and I just got such feelings.But I haven't got enough time to confirm lots of facts mentioned in it. :?:

A lot of quotes in that book that I really like. And his writing is interesting. No wonder it was the best-selling fiction book. ;)
You can check out his website to know more about him and his books that he's written. http://www.danbrown.com

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:16 pm

When will Jesus bring the pork chops? by George Carlin.

When I first saw the title of the book, I was, Meh, I don't see myself reading it. But then I kept bumping into it here and there. I thought it was a sign telling me I should give it a try. So I did. And I was reading it from its first page to the end nonstop. I could not stop myself from laughing and nodding, "Uh huh! That's right!" I laugh for his witty humor and I laugh for his extraordinary observation about surrounding life. If you would like how Americans think about America, try this book out. Conservative religious peeps, please don't read if you can't take jokes from the outsiders. People who are easily offended, please don't touch the book either. :lol:
This is a story that I quote from the book,

"The continuing story of Mary and Joseph: "It's a boy""
Mary: Joe, we're gonna have a baby.
Joe: What? That's impossible. All I ever do is put it between your thighs.
Mary: Well, I don't know. Something must've gone wrong.
Joe: Who says you're pregnant?
Mary: An angel appeared to me in the backyard and said so.
Joe: An angel?
Mary: An angel of God. His name was Gabriel. He had a trumpet and he appeared to me in the backyard.
Joe: He what?
Mary: He appeared to me.
Joe: Was he naked?
Mary: No. I think he had on a raincoat. I don't really know. He was glowing so brightly.
Joe: Mary, you're under a lot of stress. Why don't you take a few days off from the shop. The accounts can wait.
Mary: I'm telling you, Joe. This Angel Gabriel said that God wanted me to have his baby.
Joe: Did you ask for some sort of sign?
Mary: Of course I did. He said tomorrow morning I'd start getting sick.
Joe: But why should God want a kid?
Mary: Well, Gabriel said that according to Luke it's kind of an ego thing. Plus, he promised the Jews a long time ago; it's just that he never got around to it. But now he that he feels ready for children he doesn't want to just make them out of clay or dust. He wants to get humans involved.
Joe: Well, is he going to help toward raising the kid? God knows we can't do it alone. I could use a bigger shop, and maybe he could throw a couple of those nice crucifix contracts my way. The Romans are nailin' up everything that walks.
Mary: Honey, Gabriel said not to worry. The kid would be a real winner. A public speaker and good with miracles.
Joe: Well, that's a relief. Anyway, I guess now that you're officially pregnant I can start puttin' it inside you.
Mary: I'm sorry, honey. God wants it to be strictly a virgin birth.
Joe: I don't get it.
Mary: That's right, Joe.
Joe: Don't I get to do anything?
Mary: He wants you to come up with a name for the kid.
Joe: Jesus Christ!
Mary: Joe, you're so heavy."

Another one is, " WHAT HAPPENED? Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Madison, Adams, Hamilton, Things were going well. Then Ford, Quayle, Mondale, Agnew, Nixon, Clinton, Dole, Bush I, Bush II. What happened? "
That's all, if you want more, get the book. :mrgreen:

Postby Guest » Sat May 07, 2005 3:47 am

I'm reading Fleshmarket Alley by Ian Rankin and several books such as If I die in a comat zone, box me up and ship me home, the things they carried, in the lake of the woods, and Tomcat in love of Tim O'brien.
Those books are well-written in my opinion. I like Tim O'brien way of writing. His books show his pain, the torn and mixed feelings of the Vietnam war. There is a phrase that I like in one of his books,
"It wasn't a matter of peace, as the pacifists argued, but rather a matter of when and when not to join others in making war. And it wasn't a matter of listening to an ex-lieutenant colonel talk about serving in a right war, when the question was whether to serve in what seemed a wrong one."
"That would be good. It would be fine to intergrate it all to persuade my younger brother and perhaps some others to say no to wrong wars.
Or it would be fine to confirm the old beliefs about war: It's horrible, but it's a crucidble of men and events and, in the end, it makes more of a man out of you.
But, stil, none of this seems right."

You can check him out here,
http://www.illyria.com/tobhp.html

And you can check here for Fleshmarket Alley, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0316095656/002-6732370-4304824?v=glance
I'm not done with the book yet so it's hard to say how it ends, but so good so far.

Postby RedRose » Sat May 21, 2005 6:00 pm

the latest book I read recently is My life by Bill Clinton. in this book, what I am most concerned is about Clinton's affair with a young girl :mrgreen: unfortunately, he didn't mention the part so much :cry:
RedRose

Next

Return to Books & Authors