Good Neighbours Quiz
A. Do you understand what the words in the story mean?
Match the vocabulary with the definitions:
|a||finish||1||to turn over and over|
|b||mittens||2||to make by putting things together|
|c||help||3||glass that you can see out of|
|d||neighbour||4||to add something attractive|
|e||bucket||5||a person who lives beside you|
|f||yard||6||a container with a handle|
|g||roll||7||to make a job easier for another person|
|h||decorate||8||an area of land around a house|
|i||build||9||warm coverings for your hands|
|j||window||10||to complete or come to the end of an activity|
|A noun is a person, place or thing (example: father, Hawaii, car).|
A verb is an action word (example: run, sing, jump).
Which words in the vocabulary list above are nouns? Which words are verbs?
|The verbs in the vocabulary list above are in the present tense (now or every day).|
Example: I help my mother do the dishes.
Some of the verbs in the story are in the past tense (before now).
Example: I helped my mother do the dishes yesterday.
Look for the verbs below in the story. How do you write them in the past tense?
B. Do you understand how to use the words from the story?
Fill in the blanks:
1. Naoko _______________ Jack fix his snowman.
2. Jack _______________ his snowman with a carrot.
3. Jack and Naoko are new _______________.
4. Naoko's snowman is in her _______________.
5. The children _______________ the snow into a ball.
C. Do you understand what the story is about?
Answer the comprehension questions:
1. What time of year is it in this story?
2. Who tells Naoko she can play outside?
- her mother
- her father
- the snowman
3. Who are Jack and Naoko?
- They are best friends.
- They are new neighbours.
- They are brother and sister.
- They are mother and father.
4. What was the problem with Jack's snowman?
- It lost its nose.
- It was too cold.
- It had no hat.
- Its head fell off.
5. What does Jack share with Naoko?
- his window
- a carrot
- his mittens
- his pine cones
Now check your answers!