Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub
English Club : Learn English : Reading : The English Alphabet

Small and Large Letters

Each letter of the English alphabet can be written as a "small letter" or as a "large letter". Large letters are also called "capital letters" or "capitals".

Small lettersabcdefg
Capital lettersABCDEFG
Small lettershijklmn
Capital lettersHIJKLMN
Small lettersopqrstu
Capital lettersOPQRSTU
Small lettersvwxyz  
Capital lettersVWXYZ  
In informal English, we sometimes call capitals just "caps".

Font Styles >

Small letters are sometimes called "lower case" and large letters "upper case". This is because in the old days of printing, before computers, the metal blocks for setting type were kept in two different boxes or "cases": small letters in the bottom or lower case, large letters in the top or upper case.

Privacy & Terms | Contact | Report error
© 1997-2014 EnglishClub