EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Help for English

Questions from teachers about English grammar and usage

Moderator: Susan

Help for English

Unread postby techRobo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:11 pm

I need to improve my grammar. Onto the specific questions.

1. Are there any grammar books you would recommend for native English speakers who wish to brush up on their skills? I have the Grammar In Use books but feel I need something more structured. I have six weeks until the new term starts and I have to improve.
2. I really enjoy teaching English and would like to study English in greater detail. Do you know of any good online degree courses? Do I need to study English Language or Linguistics?
3. Finally, I would like to find a books or courses that cover the practical aspects of teaching English to non-native speakers. Things like pronunciation techniques, when to introduce certain topics or structures etc.

thanks
techRobo

Re: Help for English

Unread postby Syl » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:17 pm

I'm sorry it's a bit late, but probably this reply can help others, or yourself:)

I like the activities and exercises I get from Oxford University Press. Just register here:

http://www.oup.com

and have a look. They have so many Grammar exercises, activities, dialogues, and you can have their newsletter in your email for free. It's been a long time I've been using them, and I guess you can also learn a lot just using them.

Hope it helps:)

Syl's English Corner - Learn English and Have Fun
http://www.ginnegar.0catch.com
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby emon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:12 pm

I am really enjoy teaching and reading English and would like to study English in greater detail.
emon

Unread postby mscollick » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:35 pm

I think instead of books, people should go for video tutorials for learning grammar etc. Videos not only help you show things first hand, but also human minds tend to memorize visualized materials more easily than what they grasp from reading.
mscollick

Unread postby Syl » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:26 pm

You are right, mscollick, I agree. There is just one problem, though: not always those that prepare videos and send them to YouTube or anyother similar site, are real teachers with real knowledge of the teaching of English. Yet, there are others that are a blast, I personally know some and your advice is fair enough :)

In my modest opinion, the learning of English, or either the "brushing up" for native speakers only can be acquired when there is a bit of everthing. There is nothing compared to a book, with the possibility of writing or exercising, and also the use of computers for that purpose. The combination with visual-audio material (videos, music, recorded texts, drills, etc.) AND printed plus visual material are the ideal recipe for a good reinforcing, reviewing and even learning from the beginning of any language.

Good luck, everyone!

Syl's English Corner - Learn English and Have Fun
http://www.ginnegar.0catch.com
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby redfeilds » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:21 pm

There are many different reasons for people to learn English as a second language, including business advancements and personal communication. Regardless of the reason, it is important to know and understand your learning option. Having this knowledge will enable a person to make the best decision regarding how they are going to learn English. As you all know Web designing and development requires proficiency in English language because most of the web site contents are created in English. The fundamental reason for creating web site content in English is that it is the most common communicative language spoken and read all over the world. Consider the following methods that are available and their benefits:

Classroom based lessons
Audio lessons
Books
DVDs
Online learning
redfeilds

Unread postby RosalindaPerez » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:59 am

There are no specific English grammar books that I know of which are exclusively for native or non-native speakers. Having taught English to non-native speakers at Berlitz language center for four and half years, I found the following books helpful as far as giving me a good working knowledge of English grammar:
1. Instant English Handbook by Madeline Semmelmeyer and Donald O. Bolander
(contains Lessons and Examples on Parts of Speech, Verbals, Clauses, Sentences)
2. Oxford Dictionary of English Grammar by Sylvia Chalker and Edmund Weiner
(A-Z guide on all grammar points)
3. The Ins and Outs of Prepositions by Jean Yates
4. Berlitz English Verb Handbook
(contains Tenses, Modals, Complete Conjugations of Verbs)
5. The Handbook of Good English by Edward D. Johnson
(discusses various grammar issues - for advanced learners of English)
6. Oxford Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs

I hope the above books can be as helpful to you as they've been to me.

Rosalinda Perez
RosalindaPerez
Busy Member
Busy Member

Unread postby RosalindaPerez » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:54 am

Additional note:

Schaum's Outline Series - English Grammar by Eugene Ehrlich is also very useful as it contains lessons and exercises on all parts of speech and verbals. It also contains a glossary of grammatical terms which you may find helpful when you come face to face with students who do not just want to USE the English language but want to know ABOUT it as well.

Rosalinda Perez
RosalindaPerez
Busy Member
Busy Member

Unread postby Syl » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:11 am

Very good recommendations, Rosalinda! Thank you!
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby pamelafrank » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:14 am

There are several online resources, which can help you in improving upon your language and grammar. One of the best places to master your grammar for the native speaker is to refer the site of BBC. You could find an English learning section over its site, where all the basic grammar and advance level stuff are covered. The content is available both in written and audio formats, which could be used to learn and master the language and grammar.
Last edited by Susan on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove link.
pamelafrank

Next

Return to Grammar and Usage