EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

inductive approach of teaching grammar

Questions from teachers about English grammar and usage

Moderator: Susan

inductive approach of teaching grammar

Unread postby cwcaro » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi Everyone

Currently, I am studying for my TESOL certificate in the U.S and I am from China.

I am interested in knowing about inductive approach of teaching grammar that grammar rules are not explicitly explained for students, and students notice the grammar rules by exposing to examples of the target grammar features .

Does anyone have experience of trying inductive approach? I really appreciate that if you can give me some feedback and suggestion of using inductive grammar teaching approach.
cwcaro

Re: inductive approach of teaching grammar

Unread postby Syl » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:25 am

Hello, cwcaro

I am an English tutor at home specialized in Remedial Teaching. My approach is the inductive one, having the pupils exposed to the language as much as possible, through recordings, reading of texts, and all kinds of drills: the students repeat the patterns in the beginning, changing parts of the sentences on a guided way; later they start producing their own, without the "via dolorosa" (a difficult course or experience) of the theoretical explanations about what "present progressive" is, when it is used and so on.

My experience taught me that students don't keep those concepts. They are given worksheets and tests about certain grammar topics, and sometimes they succeed doing them. But when asked to apply the knowledge through a written composition and worse, when trying to speak correctly, here they go with the same mistakes.

I strongly suggest the inductive approach.

Syl
(the edited part is in red) :-)
Syl's English Corner - Learn English and Have Fun
http://www.ginnegar.0catch.com
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby cwcaro » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:04 am

Hi Syl,
Thank you for sharing with me your experience of trying inductive approach. Do you think it is more efficient than traditional approach of explaining grammar clearly?
I agreed with your that although students understand the grammar rules, they may still have trouble apply them into writing and speaking correctly. I do not know how teachers can help them with this aspect of difficulty.
Thanks again.
Caroline
cwcaro

Unread postby Syl » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:32 pm

cwcaro wrote:Hi Syl,
Thank you for sharing with me your experience of trying inductive approach. Do you think it is more efficient than traditional approach of explaining grammar clearly?
I agreed with your that although students understand the grammar rules, they may still have trouble apply them into writing and speaking correctly. I do not know how teachers can help them with this aspect of difficulty.
Thanks again.
Caroline

Dear Caroline,

First of all, I am sorry I haven't replied earlier. Anyway, I quoted your post just to make a point. When you say "they may still have trouble apply" there is a mistake. You should say "applying". I won't give you a lecture on this grammar pattern, and you know why? It won't help. When you write something probably you have the time to think about the grammar rules and if you do so, it will take you ages until you finish your article. But when speaking, you just can't. The correct use of the gerund will come up to your conscience by using it as much as possible, or after reading it in different contexts, as well as listening to it many times until you express yourself correctly.

I have a site which was built according to this approach (it is not updated, I need time to fix lots of problems there) but the rationale is on this forum here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11270&p=13645#p13645

Good luck! :-)

Syl
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby cwcaro » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:41 am

Hi Syl,
Thanks for correcting the mistake I have made. I really appreciate it.
You are absolutely right about the difference between writing and speaking in English. For speaking, there is no time for me to think about what sentence structure I should use or whether my sentence is correct. However, if I have enough practices, I am able to express myself correctly and use the correct grammar rules automatically. Practice really makes the difference!
Also, great website! Thanks for sharing!
Caroline
cwcaro

Unread postby Syl » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:48 pm

You are most welcome, Caroline!

Syl
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Return to Grammar and Usage