EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

How to teacher Grammar communicatively for beginners

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

How to teacher Grammar communicatively for beginners

Unread postby wafaamanar » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:04 am

I d like you to help me with your suggestions about how to teach Grammar communicatively.i personally can do it.I resort to the deductive way to introduce structures
wafaamanar

Unread postby joedeveto » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:39 am

Hi wafaamanar,

One of the best ways for getting students to practice using complete English sentences, whatever grammar structure you wish to teach, is by doing Timed Pair Practice. ( You can read about it at http://www.teacherjoe.us/TeachersTimedPP.html ) Try it in your class and tell me what you think!

Teacher Joe
joedeveto

Unread postby marchwind » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:03 am

Hi Wafaanamar,
If you are teaching with the deductive method, you write the rule up on the board and then ask them to apply it. If you use the inductive-communicative method, you can take any kind of text, which provides you with a context, and use it. Say you want to teach the present simple and show how the third person has an "s". You can take a simple text describing a person's daily routine. Then you can ask the students to underline all the verbs. Ask them what they notice about the verbs. You will THEN write the rule up on the board; the present simple I .drive........., you .......... he ..............
They tell you that you add an "S" at the end of the present simple. The communicative is more student-centered than teacher centered. After you have let them "infer" the rule, you can get on with the controlled practice that Teacher Joe suggested. This method can be used for any grammatical structure.
Marchwind
marchwind

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion