EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Self evaluation

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

Self evaluation

Unread postby sparklers » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:55 pm

In my teaching experience at private language schools and public sector colleges, I have often quickly shared an idea for an activity, a section in a resource book; discussed classroom experiences or problem students in the limited spare time available. However, I still do not dedicate enough time to reflect on my teaching in a more careful and systematic way (ie journal writing, peer observations, action research).

After years of teaching, I know which are the good ideas and approaches to use, but I still come across unexpected challenges which I try to ‘quickly fix’. There is also a tendency to think that I only have to work on my weaknesses.

I am currently working on a project about self evaluation for my Trinity Diploma in TESOL. I would very much appreciate it if any experienced EFL/ESL teachers could answer my questionnaire below. The short questionnaire has multiple choice questions and space for comments. It would only take a few minutes.

Teacher Questionnaire

1) How much emphasis do you put on listening when planning a lesson?
A) High
B) Medium
C) Low
D) Other
…………………………………………………………………………………………………........................

2) Which of the following listening skills are a problem for most students?
A) Ungrammatical phrases
B) Hesitations
C) Elision
D) Assimilation.
...................................................................................................

3) What are the problems you encounter when teaching writing skills?
A) Motivating students
B) The teacher as resource
C) Being the feedback provider.
..................................................................................................................

4) What problems do you encounter with your students’ writing techniques?
A) Accuracy and range
B) Style
C) Target reader
D) Organisation.
..................................................................................................................

5) What problems do you have when planning and teaching pronunciation activities in lower levels?

6) What part of teaching pronunciation do you have the most difficulty with?
A) Consonants or consonant clusters
B) Vowel length
C) Word stress
D) Tonic words

7) How do you evaluate your lessons?
A) I make a mental note at the end of each lesson
B) I write down a few comments.
C) I write about the students’ performance in the tasks. d) Other …………………………………………………………………………………………………........................................

8) What problems do you encounter when doing self-evaluations?
A) Time
B) I don’t know how to do one effectively.
C) Other
Many thanks for your time.
sparklers

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion