EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

need ideas: tutoring a child and info about SK teaching?

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

need ideas: tutoring a child and info about SK teaching?

Unread postby jzombie » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:49 pm

Hello, fellow ESL teachers and tutors! I have a couple of questions.

Recently, I've been asked to tutor a child (about eight years old) and as I'm used to working with older students I need some fun game ideas. All the information about ESL games seem to be for classroom activities.

Anyone have any good ideas for a game for just one child (and me) to play (that, obviously, incorporates English)? And of course, please keep it simple, as he is a beginner.

Also:

I am graduating this year. I would like to teach in South Korea for a year after I get my degree. I know very, very little about schools over there and would like some advice from those who have experience. Which schools are the best? What organization should I go through for a job, or should I look for one independently?

Or, does anyone know a good place online to look up the above information?

Thanks!
Jzombie
jzombie

Unread postby jzombie » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:25 am

Do people not post here much? Anyway, I decided on flash card Go Fish. I still would like some more good ideas, if anyone has anything creative to add.

I feel so alone.
jzombie

Unread postby jzombie » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:32 pm

Another good game is I Spy. One person (student or tutor) describes an object in the room, and the other person must guess what it is; take turns. It's fun and the kid seems to enjoy it. Obviously, the difficulty level can be adjusted as needed. E.G. "I spy something green" vs. "I spy something green, that has leaves, and sits in a pot. It is alive." etc etc.

While it seems no one here may have an interest in any of this, I will keep adding the ideas as I collect them, for future use. I had a hard time googling information and maybe this will help someone out in the future.
jzombie

Unread postby jzombie » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:34 pm

Oh, I forgot -- the memory game with flash cards is also a good game. (The game where you lay all the cards face down and each person take turns finding matches.) Just make sure you get the student to say what each card has on it.
jzombie

Unread postby Dixie » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:50 pm

jzombie wrote:Oh, I forgot -- the memory game with flash cards is also a good game. (The game where you lay all the cards face down and each person take turns finding matches.) Just make sure you get the student to say what each card has on it.

I've tried this game with small groups of students and also with just one student, and they love it.
Dixie
Busy Member
Busy Member

Unread postby Shelley » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:04 am

I have a book of 64 games for teaching one to one or one to three children. I give this out as a freebee when people buy my main book 101 English Language Games for Children - which is for small to medium sized groups.

You can find out more through the site below.

All the best with your teaching, one to one is great because at least you don't have to worry about discipline, plus the extra money is always useful!

Kind regards
Shelley
Fun English Games
http://www.teachingenglishgames.com
Shelley
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion