EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Need Help With My Students!

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

Need Help With My Students!

Unread postby noampsky » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:36 am

hi everyone!
i'm an English teacher. I have a problem with my students. I think most of them are not motivated enough to learn English. i suppose they are too busy at school. Actually i teach in an institute. Do you have any suggestions?

best wishes :wink:
noampsky

unmotivated students

Unread postby aline404 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:15 pm

It's interesting that you should mention that. Sometimes I think what is wrong with my pupils that they aren't interested in learning. It's so important for their future. Unfortunately, I think this is typical in many countries. I used to think it was me, but now I know it's not just me. It's the kids. So, I can't give you any real advice. It's their life and it's up to them.
aline from Israel
aline404

Unread postby matilda » Wed May 03, 2006 2:33 pm

:D Hi,
Surprise them! Find out what they like, music, cars, fashion, motorbikes??? I don't know... just grab their attention and then use it in a lesson! Once you've hooked them they'll be ready to join in with your lessons!
Alison
matilda

Unread postby GiddyGad » Mon May 22, 2006 8:40 pm

Hi there,

Surprises don't work long; and you can't surprise them too often - all your surprises will stop being surprising as soon as they become regular.

Don't blame students for not being interested. If they aren't, there must be something wrong about what you do. Think about it. There are no ready-made solutions here - your style, your OWN, personal, style is what you need. A painful but rewarding challenge, isn't it?

Smiles,

GiddyGad
GiddyGad
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby princessss » Fri May 26, 2006 12:03 pm

hi I'm from Turkey and ı'm a student. I think if students don't want to learn a teacher can't do something.Suprise to student is not a solution for this problem because if students like listen music in the class and the teacher permits it in the future it will become normal for them.I can't speak english very good but ı hope you will understand me 8)
princessss

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion