EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Testing private students at Euro levels

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

Testing private students at Euro levels

Unread postby Gruffalo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:18 am

Hello,
this is my first post. I am based in France and most of my work is teaching young children, but I have also recently restarted teaching adults on a one-to-one basis. Some of my students are working towards accreditation at level B2 (oral only) and I have been asked if individual teachers are able to carry out tests and provide certification, or if that is only possible via an accredited test centre. Is it possible to become affiliated to a test centre, and if so, how long would the training process take? I assume that in any case, all tests would be recorded and moderated before certificates could be issued, so in theory, whether the test was carried out by an individual teacher affiliated to a test centre or by the test centre itself shouldn't alter the outcome of the exam.
My local test centres have been really unhelpful. One of my students is already enrolled for an exam, and we have been given no details of the format this will take. I am finding it really hard to reassure my student when all we have been told is "candidates will be tested in pairs to level B2, the oral test will take approximately 10 minutes".
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer,
Gruffalo
Gruffalo

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion