EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

How to make grammar interesting

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

How to make grammar interesting

Unread postby nikita » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:55 am

Hi everyone. I'm currently teaching English in high school. Appreciate getting tips on how to teach grammar and make it interesting.
nikita

Re: How to make grammar interesting

Unread postby almeklafi » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:38 pm

There are interesting ideas in "M. Celce-Murica and S. Hilles, Techniques and Resources in Teaching Grammar" This is an excellent book with a new approach to teaching grammar.
almeklafi

Unread postby LyndseyP » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:45 pm

I've found that choosing an interesting & relevant theme, designing your lesson plans so that they're participatory, and keeping all activities well-paced are some of the most important factors to consider when teaching grammar to high school students.

For some great online resources you can visit: http://www.oxfordseminars.com/esl-teach ... /index.php.

Lyndsey Pratt
Oxford Seminars
http://www.oxfordseminars.com
LyndseyP

Unread postby Petrakac » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:58 am

Hi,
making grammar interesting for teenagers is quite a difficult task. As to practising grammar what I find useful is The grammar activity book - Bob Olbee. There are many funny and interesting activities and games suitable for high school Ss. When I present some new grammar I use very often MIND MAPS. I think it's perfect for keeping Ss awake and it also help them to concentrate more and remember the new grammar better and faster, you can use a lot of colours and pictures and in my experience Ss love it!
Petrakac

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion