EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Tutoring strategies & teaching grammar?

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

Tutoring strategies & teaching grammar?

Unread postby Jem » Wed May 31, 2006 6:45 pm

Hi all,

I'm a 1st time ESL home tutor with an intermediate level student. I'm trying to teach her grammar and would like to find out more ways of making the lessons more meaningful. I've recently read the article "Demystifying grammar teaching" by Mokgatla Harriet Maimane (google it up & you'll be sure to find it). Mokgatla recognises one of the problems of teaching grammar includes the tendency of teaching various aspects separately but not drawing them together to enable the student to see the function of grammar as a whole. This is one of the problems I am facing. Any one have any suggestions/tutoring strategies?
-ya-
Jem

Unread postby GiddyGad » Wed May 31, 2006 8:11 pm

Hi Jem,

Doesn't Mokgatla give any solutions?

Smiles,
GiddyGad
GiddyGad
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby Jem » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:00 am

Yeh, example exercises are given but only a few and I was curious to know if anyone else had any other strategies/exercises.
-ya-
Jem

Unread postby Shelley » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:50 pm

I have a book of 64 games for teaching one to one or one to three children. I give this out as a freebee when people buy my main book 101 English Language Games for Children - which is for small to medium sized groups.

If you are teaching adults you can also use these games - the main thing is that they are best for elementary to lower intermediate pupils.

You can find out more through the site below.
All the best with your teaching, one to one is great because at least you don't have to worry about discipline, plus the extra money is always useful!

Kind Regards,
Shelley, Fun English Games
http://www.teachingenglishgames.com
Shelley
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby GiddyGad » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:16 pm

Hi Jem,

Of course there are strategies different from commonly used. Mine for one. Very effective. I've been in one-to-one for 16 years with around 80% success. I also teach at a university with groups of students. But I can't explain what I do (unless in a book) - I can show and interpret my actions.

It's not a textbook that matters, but what you do with it. I suggest that you start developing your own approach from scratch.

One advice, though: don't waste time on games.

Ask precise questions if you want precise answers,

GiddyGad
GiddyGad
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion