EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

TOEFL exam

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

TOEFL exam

Unread postby cjfb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:20 pm

I'm a new TEFL graduate with a few months tutoring experience in a classroom with experienced ESL teachers.

I would like to take on a student privately who wants to prepare for the TOEFL exam. Where do I start? There are online practice tests but what I really want is a good backup coursebook or guide to use when I find areas where she lacks competency.

Where do I start the process? Is there a list of steps in initiating this training?

Thanks
cjfb

Re: TOEFL exam

Unread postby Roze » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:43 am

There is ample material online and a multitude of books in book stores but in all fairness to the students I suggest you gain accreditation by taking a TOEFL teaching course before you take their money. The fact that you have to ask means you are not ready for the task.
Roze

Re: TOEFL exam

Unread postby becki » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:46 am

First, I recommend educating yourself about the TOEFL test. Just look online to get the gist of what the test is all about.

Once you're familiar with the test, find a textbook that you like that includes practice tests. ETS makes The Official Guide to the TOEFL Test, which would do the job.

Give your private student a few practice tests and find out which areas he or she needs more practice. Then, focus on those areas during your lessons. At the end of each month, try the practice tests again to see if there is any improvement and also to see if there are other areas which need improvement.

I wouldn't use the TOEFL textbook as the main part of the lesson. It is a comprehensive test, so students need to improve their overall level of English and not just study for the test.
becki
Busy Member
Busy Member

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion