EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

About teaching TOEFL ! need help!

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

About teaching TOEFL ! need help!

Unread postby arielma » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:49 pm

Is there anyone here teach ibt toefl speaking classes?
i really need to dicuss with someone about how to teach it effectively.
i am fighting alone for my students now, i will appreciate your help!
arielma

Unread postby cityofislam » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:47 pm

what do you exactly want from toefl? I have passed that test and i got over 555 marks
I'm a teacher of English in Egypt. I studied at the Moray House School of Education in the University of Edinburgh, Scotland.
cityofislam

TOEFL...

Unread postby eric_p_m » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:31 am

Dear Arielma,

Have you ever taught for the IELTS? The TOEFL changed the manner in which it assesses foreign language learners' abilities to closely mimic the IELTS. Of all the examinations or assessments that I have taught for, the IELTS has been by far the best assessment tool that I have ever encountered with a wide distribution base.

Whenever I have my students do mock interviews, I always ask them questions that use my knowledge of their culture against them to produce an emotional response on their part. This points out where their linguistic liabilities lie and allows me to quickly assess their proficiency level to give them an accurate idea of how they will score on the IELTS.

I have taught at universities and at IELTS training centers and I never have difficulty using this methodology. Utilizing emotion creates an atmosphere where a context is automatically created that will allow for effective language learning that will never be forgotten in addition to allowing rapid retrieval.

Sincerely,

Eric Paul Monroe

http://www.eric-tesol.com/
eric_p_m
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion