EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

can I really get jobs with TESOL/TEFL certificate

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

can I really get jobs with TESOL/TEFL certificate

Unread postby icjc » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:50 pm

I am thinking about to get Tesol/Tefl certificate, and try to get jobs in Taiwan. Just wondering if I can really get a goob job with the certificates.
icjc

to TESOL or not to TESOL

Unread postby chappers » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:58 pm

in my experience not all places will ask for you to have a ceritifcate in ESL teaching but it does give you the edge above other candidates in getting interviews and stuff.

it also gives you confidence and a bag full of tricks and ideas which you can use and adapt when you do finally get into the classroom which I hope is really gunna help when I get to my first lesson.

As far as the TESOL vs CELTA qualification goes I think most european places prefer if you have a CELTA certificate.
chappers

Unread postby Shelley » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:13 pm

I believe a TEFL certificate is invaluable and will certainly help getting a job, not to mention what you will learn that will make you a better teacher.

TEFL is recognised the world over and I've been offered jobs in the UK and France with it so I don't think you can go wrong.

Kind regards
Shelley Vernon
Fun English Games
http://www.teachingenglishgames.com
Shelley
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Similar situation

Unread postby christa » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:45 am

Im thinking of doing the same thing but going to Japan instead.The TELF certificate run by Oxford seminars has a really good reputaion here in Canada.Though i keep wondering how you teach to people who dont know enslish and when you dont know thier language either.
christa

hi

Unread postby Jump Start ! » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:52 pm

Me too, i was and still thinking and planning to take that course (TELF, TESOL or CELTA). I would like to upgrade myself and if getting that certificate would help me lead to a better position in teaching, of course, that would be great. Well, i had already 3 years of experince teaching to korean students in different levels, with different kinds and background of students (elementary to adult). At first, i didn't know any single word but then when you are in the classroom, you will know it little by little. And i'm sure on the first day in your teaching the school provide you a translator (if necessary)... Don't put to hard effort to learn their language it will just come to you by having free conversation witht he students.
Hmm, actually i want to take that CELTA or TESOL because i'm looking forward to work in the Dutch speaking community...
[b]"To be a better teacher is not only to know each students by name but most importantly to know how to use the right motivation to learn your subject..."[b] [i]I love my Babe [i]
Jump Start !
Busy Member
Busy Member

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion