EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

rob vs. steal - is there a difference?

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

rob vs. steal - is there a difference?

Unread postby chappers » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:54 pm

The title says it all. There must be a difference because it's a question in my training pack but I can't for the life of me work it out! :?

If anyone can help they have my eternal gratitude!
chappers

Unread postby nimmy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:04 am

hi

Someone robs a person or an organisation, but steals things such as money.

eg. I was robbed.
The bank has been robbed.

Who stole my purse?
He stole the money.

nimmy
nimmy

Unread postby GiddyGad » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:45 pm

Hi,

A robber tends to use violence or the threat of violence in order to steal, whereas a thief doesn't use force or violence (rather stealth).

There's another word to be mentioned - a burglar - someone who enters a building illegally in order to steal.

I hope this helps,

GiddyGad
GiddyGad
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby Jump Start ! » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:39 pm

of course there is, my dear. Giddy, i agree to your view... someone told me a hilarious example...but true....that when you rob a bank, usually for a BIG amount of money, say a truck of money/or monetary documents and that is with violence and if you are caught by the police you have to pay for the penalty and be into prison for not less than 3 years....BUT if you steal the amount is not that much, say a hundred dollar from your grandma's wallet and if not money, things. And if you are caught by your grandma and compained to the police, you give back what you stole to your grandma and be in jail not for more than a year...(because your grandma will let you out from the jail...hehehe... :lol:
Well, here's another difference,( ROB vs STEAL ) obvious! look at the spelling!
[b]"To be a better teacher is not only to know each students by name but most importantly to know how to use the right motivation to learn your subject..."[b] [i]I love my Babe [i]
Jump Start !
Busy Member
Busy Member

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion