EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

I need advice:)

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

I need advice:)

Unread postby Maija » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:03 pm

How to make classes more exciting and valuable, teaching an adult(52) who needs to develop good grammar for conducting classes on Electromagnetic Field Ballancing Technique in front of international audience? How to develop his speaking skills more effectively? We learn 2 hours every second day and have to be on high level till October. I want to make our classes more productive. How? Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
Maija

Unread postby Shelley » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:07 pm

Can I suggest that he writes up some paragraphs related to his teaching matter and gives you mini-presentations. This is rather dull rote learning but it's also pretty effective for getting the subconcious to absorb things.

He needs to read avidly in English in his area of expertise.

Have him teach you his subject so you understand it and do specific exercises to address specific grammatical weaknesses which emerge.

If he loves his subject he should find it interesting telling you about it.

If the idea is to get him to practise talking as much as possible, talk about the things he is interested in rather than bringing in some article to discuss about global warming (or whatever), which he might not give a fig about!

Kind regards
Shelley
Fun English Games
http://www.teachingenglishgames.com
Shelley
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Thank you, Shelly:))

Unread postby Maija » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:00 pm

You have really given good hints how to make the classes more productive. Yes, I will do my best to make it work!!! Let's keep in touch and thank you again!!!! :D
Maija

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion