EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

auxiliary verb and tense

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

auxiliary verb and tense

Unread postby priya » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:36 pm

Kindly explain which are the tenses in which auxiliary verb and main verb comes dependently and independently.
priya

auxiliary verbs separate from main verb

Unread postby joannap73 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:07 pm

Hmmm...I can think of an example, I believe: "HAVE you not FINISHED your homework yet?" I believe the verb phrase is separated here by the subject of the sentence, and whatever "not" is considered! Perhaps this structure of separated verb phrases is used only in forming questions.
joannap73

Unread postby GiddyGad » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:16 pm

Hi Joannap73,

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly. Is it that you don't know the place of the notional verb in a predicate? Is it that you don't know which verb form is controlled by which auxiliary? Or maybe you want to know how to do with conversions and elliptical constructions?

Puzzled,

GiddyGad
GiddyGad
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby SaudQ8 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:15 am

I will answer your question regarding my understanding to your used words in conveying your question.

You asked about the clauses, whether dependent or independent, that are frequently occurred within the tenses that are divided into two main types, Past and Present.

The past progressive (to be+ ing verb form)takes place in a dependent status as "When I met my friend Ali, he was being upset." Also, the present progressive has the same status.

LoL you are asking a question that needs a project to cover this question.

Cheers,

Saud :)
SaudQ8

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion