EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

do you understand

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

do you understand

Unread postby masud » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:30 pm

a few months ago my friend told me that the expression of "do you understand?" is impolite expression using in classroom. what do you think?. actually i often used this expression to check the students understanding about the material that i've given. if it is impolite what expression should i use?
thanks
masud

Re: do you understand

Unread postby Susan » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:26 am

It's not so much that the question is impolite, more that it is not very helpful.

When you say: "do you understand?", students have a tendency to say "yes" whether they understand or not. The ones who do understand will say "yes" very quickly and then the ones who don't understand may not want to speak out.

It would be more helpful to find another way of checking understanding. eg by asking students to explain it back to you or by setting a task that sees if they can use the language correctly.
Susan

Unread postby AskShannon » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:43 pm

Hi Masud

I agree with Susan - you should ask "Concept Checking Questions" in order to find out if they really understand.

Shannon
Last edited by Susan on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To remove link (links are allowed in signatures, not the post).
AskShannon

Unread postby kerrang » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:39 am

To be honest I've used this expression many times myself, I wouldn't call it "impolite". However I think it shouldn't be addressed to the whole class but a single student during a conversation for example.
kerrang

Unread postby Syl » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:50 pm

I also wouldn't call the question "impolite", but useless. Even the question "Who doesn't understand?" might be of no importance, since out of embarrassment many pupils wouldn't probably answer.

Checking understanding can be done through many methods, depending on the activities. For example, you check reading comprehension through the various questions and exercises, and so on.

Syl

Syl's English Corner - Learn English and Have Fun
http://www.ginnegar.0catch.com
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion