EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

teaching "a lot", "little", "very l

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

teaching "a lot", "little", "very l

Unread postby kitty » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:11 pm

Dear Sir, Please suggest me some ways to teach the quantifiers, like "a lot", "too much", "a little", "very little", "too little", etc.
Kitty
kitty

quantifiers...

Unread postby eric_p_m » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:51 pm

Dear Kitty,

Have a party in class! Let the students decide which foods and beverages to bring. As the teacher, you should manage pouring liquids and selecting the portions for your students. Make them choose the portions with the quantifiers you wish for them to learn. Offer linguistic suggestions and let them negotiate towards an effective response.

Afterwards, have your students discuss what happened and have your students relate the quantities given out in class. Who received the largest amount? Utilize your imagination to satisfy your students' hunger and at the same time, meet your linguistic assessment needs.

If you have any other question or wish to speak to me directly, feel free to visit me inside my on-line school.

Sincerely,

Eric Paul Monroe

http://www.eric-tesol.com/
eric_p_m
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby greed1163 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:33 pm

Teaching grammar in an unattached or discreet way may not be your best way to convey what you want your students to learn.
Try and connect the grammar concepts you're trying to get across with at theme they have prior knowledge of.
Think of teaching them these concepts the same way you were taught you're first language....in context.
If you want to know more. I can give you some specific lessons to try out.
good luck
garrett
greed1163

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion