EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Motivating Students

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

Motivating Students

Unread postby dincersaral » Fri May 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Hello !

First of all, I am writing from Eskisehir, Turkey. I have a problem and it's one of the most disturbing problems of mine. Some of my students are always using their phones for checking the dictionary. In other words, they want to know every word in a text. Therefore, when they face with an unknown word they think they will not be able to understand the text. I tried a few ways such as having them watch movies, series with EN subtitles and told them not to use the dictionary but try to guess the meanings while watching. However, the problems is that they do not believe in themselves upon understanding the context.

Do you have any suggestions on this problem ?

Thank you in advance.
dincersaral

Re: Motivating Students

Unread postby becki » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:37 am

I understand your frustration. In Japan it is the electronic dictionaries.

In this situation, I think it's best to introduce a new rule - no dictionaries in class. Explain the reasons behind the new rule, so everyone understands that you are not just being mean. Be strict with students who break the rule, such as take away their phones. That way the students know you are serious and not just offering a suggestion.

Over time, as their confidence improves, you can ease up on the rule. Dictionaries do have their place and are a useful tool, but are not good if they are being overused.
becki
Busy Member
Busy Member

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion