EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Analysing grammar structures

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

Analysing grammar structures

Unread postby mrsforan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:14 pm

Stressed out, HELP ME PLEASE
Please could someone help me with the following excercise, the more research i do the more confused I become especially with the phonological aspect which is chinese to me
Much appreciated

Consider the following form, function and phonological aspects of these items:

1 She used to have long hair

2 I was having a bath when the phone rang

3 I wish I had worked harder
mrsforan

Grammar structure

Unread postby MariaLisette » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:44 am

I am not really sure what your question is, but the first and third sentences seemed fine to me. The only sentence that seemed a bit odd to me as a native speaker was "I was having a bath when the phone rang." I think that it would be better to say, "I was taking a bath when the phone rang." In American English we don't say, "having a bath". Good luck and take care! Maria Lisette
MariaLisette

Unread postby colemanshs » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:12 am

Number 1 is saying that she had long hair at one point in time but now her hair is short. It is like using the imperfect tense in Spanish. [Ella tenía pelo largo (de niña.)]

In number 2, as mentioned above, "having" should be changed to "taking." It is describing what you were doing when the phone rang. (Me estaba bañando cuando soñó el teléfono.)

Number 3 is trying to say that you wish you had worked harder, perhaps, while in school. I wish I had worked harder in school. Maybe I could have graduated early. I'm now sure how to translate this question but I'll try anyway. [Espero haber trabajado más duro (en la universidad)].

I hope this is helpful. Hopefully it did not confuse you even more.
colemanshs

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion