EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Is this correct? "to do" in this sentence?

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

Is this correct? "to do" in this sentence?

Unread postby MariaLisette » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:37 am

Hey everybody, I am an ESL teacher from the USA living in Mexico. I recently started training here at a new school and I found something odd in one of their textbooks. The lesson topic is frequency adverbs. Here is what it says in the manual: "How often does he do exercise?" Shouldn't it be, "How often does he exercise?" OR "How often does he do exercises?" The answer to the question is, " He doesn't do exercise very often." Shouldn't it be, "He doesn't exercise very often." OR He doesn't do exercises very often."??? I just want to make sure that the textbook is not giving the students the incorrect structure/verb. I really think that, "How often does he exercise? He doesn't exercise very often." is the best, but I want to make sure. Any help would be appreciated especially if you can provide a grammar text reference so that I can have some written proof if I am correct. Anyway, thanks in advance and take care! :) Maria Lisette
MariaLisette

It is a verb and also a noun.

Unread postby meylenlau » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:58 am

Hi,

1.How often does he exercise? and
2.How often does he do exercise?
Both sentences are correct.
exercise is a verb and also a noun
In the first sentence it is a verb while in the second sentence it is a noun.
So the meaning in No. 1 equlvalent to:
excercise (v)=perform/do physical activity
while No. 2 equivelent to:
exercise (n)=physical activity
So in my opinion,they are just different ways of expressions that has the same meaning.
Bye .
meylenlau
Busy Member
Busy Member

both are correct

Unread postby calla » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:53 am

We would use both of those where I am from, and they are equally correct. We do exercise and we exercise.
Hope that helps.
calla

Unread postby ziadmasry » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:43 am

I agree with both.
thanks a lot
ziadmasry

do exercise/ exercise...

Unread postby eric_p_m » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:00 pm

Dear MariaLisette,

I think that you should take your Mexican textbook and throw it out the window. Utilize authentic native language materials for your classroom. This way, you will never have to encounter interference problems again.

I believe that your textbook was written by a person from Mexico that had a greater proficiency in Spanish rather than English, the target language for your course. "To do exercises" is highly likely to be just a bad translation from Spanish since hacer ejercicios is more common than using the verb ejercer.

In English, we would tend to opt for the verb "exercise" itself, unless we wanted to stress plurality or distinguish the exercises from one another by using a countable noun, which in this case would require using "do" or "does" depending on the subject, of course: he does a variety of exercises every morning, for example.

If you would like to learn more about how to make your own textbook for your language classroom or you would like to learn more about the Spanish language, feel free to visit me inside my on-line school.

Sincerely,

Eric Paul Monroe

http://www.eric-tesol.com/
eric_p_m
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion