EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Is it 30 or is it 45?

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

Is it 30 or is it 45?

Unread postby pthompson4 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:22 pm

Can anyone who has taught in Korea explain the working hours to me. They say you work a maximum of 30 hours a week, but then they say you work from 12:00 to 9:00 five days a week which is 45 hours. They also say a teaching hour = 45 minutes. Some contracts are for x won a month, and others are for x won per hour. Help, if you can.

Paul 8)
Considering TESOL somewhere
pthompson4
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

wage generation...

Unread postby eric_p_m » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:24 pm

Dear Paul,

One of my on-line school's clients is currently a Korean English language training company and I just finished teaching for over five years in China. I think that I could offer you valuable insight into what your potential employer is thinking.

The maximum thirty hours a week should just be to make the municipal government happy since they should only be allowed to hire you for a given number of hours. This would avoid heavy tax fines on their part.

In your contract, your teaching schedule and hours is probably located on a different page, which government types would never set their eyes on. Sounds like your employer is saying that you would be working for forty-five hours a week.

As far as the teaching hour equating to forty-five minutes, you need to clarify with him or her whether you will be paid say twenty dollars per hour or per each class you teach. If you get paid $20 for each 45-minute-class, congratulations, but if you get paid $20 for every hour you teach, this would be more the norm in my experience as your employer would be increasing his or her profit while you contemplate the universe.

As far as working by the hour or with a salary, weigh what other benefits they can offer you. A good company should state that over-time would be paid at a certain rate per hour.

If you have further questions, feel free to e-mail me or visit me working inside my on-line school and speak with me directly there.

Sincerely,

Eric Paul Monroe

http://www.eric-tesol.com/
eric_p_m
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion