EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Brain Drain

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

Brain Drain

Unread postby edlynne » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Why do most citizens in a country study too hard and then fly off to other countries just to work there and earn big? Isn't their country sufficient enough to provide them a living? I believe that for one to succeed in life, you must work for the benefit of your country first. Serve your fellow citizens. No matter how big or small your salary may be. Educators hold the future of a country. So why go out and enrich other countries? Start within your own. Start the future.
edlynne

Re: Brain Drain

Unread postby marcchehab » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:29 pm

Well being one of those who will leave his own country, I have this answer for you:

I do agree with your conception to use one's talents for the good of all and not for selfish interests (e.g. money). Leaving for a less wealthy country is but a symptom of the same values though. I do not find a socially crucial reason here in Switzerland, thus I travel to England to study 'peace studies' and then to developing nations. In this way I hope to use the time I have a little more efficient.

What I disagree with is the patriotic air I make out in your post. If I mistakenly did so, I am sorry.

Kind regards
Marc
marcchehab
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby edlynne » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:01 am

marcchehab wrote:Well being one of those who will leave his own country, I have this answer for you:

I do agree with your conception to use one's talents for the good of all and not for selfish interests (e.g. money). Leaving for a less wealthy country is but a symptom of the same values though. I do not find a socially crucial reason here in Switzerland, thus I travel to England to study 'peace studies' and then to developing nations. In this way I hope to use the time I have a little more efficient.

What I disagree with is the patriotic air I make out in your post. If I mistakenly did so, I am sorry.

Kind regards
Marc

we all have different reasons, but here in the Philippines, that is what's happening. almost all leave just to earn money leaving their families behind. and that's the sad part of it. others leave without returning back to their homes.
edlynne

Unread postby marcchehab » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:39 am

well, but they don't just leave their families behind I suppose, they send them money, right? If so, it's also good for your economy, isn't it?
marcchehab
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion