EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Keyword Mnemonics in learning English

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

Keyword Mnemonics in learning English

Unread postby sidan » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi there,
I am a teacher in a primary school in Thailand. I am interested in promoting students' memorization as well as retention. I think it is one of the most important thing in learning English especially in terms of words for students who learn English as a foriegn language like in my hometown. So, I tried to create a tool of keyword employment. But so far, I haven't finished yet cuz it needs much time and it is quite difficult. Anyone interested in this method or is now using this type of mnemonics? Please give me suggestions and share the idea.

Regards,
Sidan
sidan
Busy Member
Busy Member

Re: Keyword Mnemonics in learning English

Unread postby waterrat » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:07 am

Would the NATO alphabet be of any use.

Steve
waterrat

Unread postby susanspy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:05 pm

Well Sidan, thats a cool idea which i too would like to implement in my school, but i have no idea how to get it up & running asap, i too do not see any reply to your post btw NATO is great but not that helpful so please post some thing more better.

Cheers!!!
susanspy

Unread postby sidan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:19 pm

Keyword method is such a good mnemonic for students to remember words. It is related to two links which are acoustic link and imagery link. For example the word 'barrier" which means lawyer, we link the word with the same sound of "bear". Then we create an image along with the sentence which is "a bear is pretending as a lawyer in the court".(show students the picture too)
But the problem is it's quite tough to create such the material and to deal with the words of the primary school level which most of them contain one syllable. If we as primary school teachers can work together on this, what the benefit our students will get!
sidan
Busy Member
Busy Member

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion