EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

teaching with technology

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

teaching with technology

Unread postby waterrat » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:34 pm

I have been given a test question, a new student, speaks very little English and understands only simple english. She wishes, eventually, to go to university. Personally I would use mostly technology to help the student grasp the language, because she has total control over the programs speed and pitch of voice, and she can copy and paste from pdf files, newspapers and online books and follow the highlighted text, in the text to speech program. There are now many online programs where a student can study the language at his/her pace. Would anyone disagree with me. I believe the days of the blackboard and chalk are almost a thing of the past in the United States.

Steve
waterrat

Re: teaching with technology

Unread postby eric_p_m » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:15 pm

Dear Steve,

Blackboards served as an area where information could be visually placed to facilitate knowledge transfer while chalk served mainly as a writing instrument. With constant technological innovations, mediums will continue to develop while fundamental language learning/ acquisition methods and strategies never change: we just realize what was going on in the first place. Learning requires receptive (listening and reading) and productive (speaking and writing) skills. Advice-wise, don't focus on technology, but rather just on knowledge transfer.

Sincerely,

Eric Paul Monroe

http://www.eric-tesol.com/
eric_p_m
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby Shelley » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi Steve

I totally agree with Eric, but wish to add that technology can add a glamorous side to learning, especially with kids.

For example kids enjoy fiddling with their gadgets and phones so a project that would motivate them more than a fill in the blanks worksheet might be to take three photos and give a short presentation of them. This could be done on the family, on a hobby, a pet, or whatever subject the kid is into.

For more ideas like this check this article out:

http://www.teachingenglishgames.com/Art ... ssroom.htm

And finally, a lot of fun can be had with the black board, it just depends on how you use it!

All the best
Shelley Vernon
Shelley
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby adobeandrew » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:00 am

Hey guys,
I work with the Adobe Education Exchange and since you enjoy implementing technology in the classroom, I thought some of you would be interested in our community. We are currently hosting a contest for US teachers where members who submit lesson plans are eligible to win free Adobe CS5 products. Do you have a good english lesson plan you would like to share...particularly one that integrates technology in the classroom? The community is a great resource for teachers and this is a good opportunity to win Adobe software such as Photoshop.
Check out the site and details here: http://edexchange.adobe.com/pages/48dc7da0c3

Thanks!
adobeandrew

Unread postby fathie » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:13 am

I do agree that technology has helped us a lot in different fields especially in education. I too have learned a lot online, I have learned so many things that were not taught in school. My vocabulary and knowledge continues to grow as I utilize all the technology I have on-hand. If technology is used the proper way then kids would be a lot smarter.
fathie

Unread postby Shelley » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:50 am

You are right Fathie, I mean the other day I became a semi-expert on loft insulation after just a hour of research online! How on earth would we have done that in the days before internet.

I've just been helping someone out who was looking for stories for teens and a quick search led me to some fabulous teen magazine sites - other than the girlie ones on fashion and boys that is! - so the internet alone is a great resource for students to use for homework assignments and finding texts and info to bring into class.

It's a way to make the kids responsible for their learning as well as participating in the lesson topics so they are likely to be more interested during class activities.

Technology isn't just the internet though. In many parts of the world teens are equipped with mobile phones and cameras so joint video projects would be possible, photographic projects to illustrate a story or to give presentations or design projects using some of the free design download kits out there.

As far as learning with software goes, it's good, it works, but it still doesn't compare with good old human beings!

Shelley
http://www.teachingenglishgames.com
Shelley
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion