EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Career advancement

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

Career advancement

Unread postby Sunflower » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:47 pm

I've been teaching English for 6 years now. I've got ECPE, TKT and SIT Tesol certificates.
My teaching context is quite limited in terms of professional development, i mean, teachers do not go for new things like courses or recycling opportunities. The consequence is that no matter how much i work or study, or spend time preparing training sessions for the staff, the feeling is always the same, stuck!
Since they only prepare lessons, it is quite hard for them to even understand my point.
The thing is I would love to go beyond, something like teaching in a "real" teacher training course, or working as a teacher suppervisor in contexts in which i would not only teach but also learn and exchange knowledge with other colleagues.
I just do not know if i need some kind of certification or course to redirect my career and keep myself professionaly motivated.
Advices?
Sunflower

Re: Career advancement

Unread postby Xanadu » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:42 pm

I don't know of any advenced qualifications you need to become a teacher trainer. You have a good deal of experience. I would contact the CELTA and TESOL offices and see what they require to become one.
Have you thought about setting up your own academy?
Xanadu

Re: Career advancement

Unread postby AlexCase » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:20 pm

In terms of qualifications, the next step would seem to be a diploma, usually meaning the Trinity Diploma or Cambridge DELTA. More importantly, though, you just need to find a job in a better school, e.g. one which has a teacher training department.
AlexCase
Busy Member
Busy Member

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion