EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Improving students' accents

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

Improving students' accents

Unread postby Ben » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:19 pm

My advanced students are all terribly concerned about their French accents and want to know how to improve them. I sent them to videos on youtube and I recommended trying to copy voices of newscasters or TV characters but beyond that I don't know what to say. Any advice?
Ben

Re: Improving students' accents

Unread postby sepidehfattahi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:32 am

In my view, the best way to learn English accent is just by listening to natives which is achieved by watching English movies, news, TV programs,etc.
sepidehfattahi

Unread postby timf » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:19 am

What about selecting some key vocabulary that they have problems with and practicing the pronounciation with those words? I teach in Spain and here they have alot of trouble with their "R" words (red, road, read, roar, etc.). And by focusing on their weaknesses their pronounciation has improved quite a bit.
timf

Unread postby AlexCase » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:47 am

It seems a little silly to me to work on R sounds with Spanish speakers, because their rolled Rs never cause communication problems and there are some native speaker accents (e.g. Scottish) which are similar.

For French speakers, one of the biggest problems is dropping h. We've recently put up a list of minimal pairs like this on EnglishClub:

http://www.englishclub.com/pronunciatio ... airs-h.htm
AlexCase
Busy Member
Busy Member

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion