EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Teaching English With Skype?

Questions and advice about careers and employment in TEFL. Do not post job advertisements here.

Moderator: Susan

Teaching English With Skype?

Unread postby samarts » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:03 am

Hello,

I'm a native English speaker (American English) and I reside in New York City. I taught abroad a few years ago, and did get my TESOL certificate. I need to make some extra money, so I was hoping to offer some English Conversation classes via Skype and charge $20/hour, or so. Has anyone done this? If so, how did it go? I guess the toughest part is getting students. I have no idea how to do this. I put in an ad in craigslist (Tokyo), but that's about it. Any ideas? or should I give up? I need to make some extra money and was hoping this would work...please advise.

Thanks!!!!
Samantha
samarts

Re: Teaching English With Skype?

Unread postby JackW » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:33 pm

Hi

To be honest, $20 may be a little steep. Finding students isn't the only problem - how do you plan to receive payment? How will you present materials? Skype isn't the greatest for online teaching - you need a whiteboard to go with it. WebEx or other meeting software would be better, but is more complicated, and your students may not have it or want to sign up. It's probably a good idea to start out with an online school that have all this sorted out and get some experience - online teaching is different to classroom teaching in many ways - it can take a little getting used to. I've been at it about 3 months, now and I'm starting to feel more comfortable with it.

J
JackW

Unread postby zuzuhany » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:34 pm

dear Samantha, i'm so glad that i finally found a netive speaker to ask for an advice . i'm trying to improve my english.and the idea is wonderful but the price is a little high .
zuzuhany

Unread postby willkingdom » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:03 pm

I am really interested in this too.
We've started using webex with a few students and although it is a bit weird to begin with it seems to work. it's SOOO important to have reliable internet service; you don't want skippy fuzzy sound. learning/teaching is hard enough as it is.
very different to regular lessons and initially frustrating/worrying not being able to see your students reactions to instructions and tasks.
I found i've had to change materials drastically and experiment to get past technical issues and find out what works.
so far i've only done one:one lessons as a component of face to face courses.
technology in webex allows more but we are starting slow.
regarding prices: nothing wrong with charging even more. individual lessons go for 30bucks an hour.
talk to Canada charges 40CAD per hour.
The other benefits are improved efficiency (no travel time) which is also great for your students.

I would love to hear other teachers' experiences with this kind of teaching.
W
willkingdom

Unread postby paulinefiddle » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:13 pm

I have lots of experience teaching one on one via Skype. When I'm not an English teacher, I'm a violin teacher, and I have given violin lessons on Skype. I know enough about Skype teaching that I would be quite comfortable teaching English for non-native speakers one on one by Skype. I also have experience teaching English for professional exams (for example, English for pharmacists from other countries). Almost all students need more help with spoken English than they think they do. How can I find students to teach one on one on Skype? What is a reasonable price to ask?
paulinefiddle

Return to Employment Discussion