EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

HELP! Just another green teacher in need of advice

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

HELP! Just another green teacher in need of advice

Unread postby msparkschina » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:17 am

Hello everyone.
My name is Matthew and I am a 24 year old man from America. I have been teaching in China for 5 months now and it has been an amazing experience. Recently I have made a switch and I am in dire need of some help, suggestions, and advice.
I strongly desire to be a good teacher. I don't just want to travel, I want to make teaching a life long career. I started out at a private school in China. I worked long hours, taught many classes, but the curriculum was handed to me and the lessons were very straight forward. They followed a series of books and teaching was just a matter of coming up with a few games to deliver the content. The students were from 5-11 years old and the classes were all very small and easy to control.
Recently I have changed schools to a public middle school and I am now very much in over my head. The classes all have over 60 students each and their is absolutely no curriculum to use. I do have an English textbook to use that does have dialogues, passages, and some vocabulary, but it's a terrible book that was made by a Chinese English speaker. I receive practically no guidance from my superiors. Before the Spring Festival break I was just trying to maintain a semblance of order. Many students would not listen to me and I am not sure how many can understand me.

I really need advice from some teachers on different techniques, strategies, and activities I can use with large classes of beginner English speakers. Anybody who has experience in China would be a great help to me. I really want to be a successful teacher. I know not everything will go perfect, but at this point I just don't know what to do.
So like I said, please help me with any:
-Games
-Activities
-Strategies
-Powerpoint ideas
-Techniques
-Classroom management ideas
-Grading ideas
Practically anything would be helpful! Everything is largely left up to me by the school so it is quite intense.

Thank you for anybody who can contribute and I hope I can start a thread that will be useful to many other green TESl teachers.
msparkschina

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion