EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

She said she would but call but she didn't/she hasn't

Questions from teachers about English grammar and usage

Moderator: Susan

She said she would but call but she didn't/she hasn't

Unread postby Henry » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:50 am

I've learned my English in the US and I know that I tend to use a simple past in places where English Grammars say I'm supposed to use a Present Perfect (e.g. Did you see the movie?). So, I'm trying to understand if the difference between but she didn't and but she hasn't in the sentence above is simply one between American usage and British usage, or if there is more to it.
From a purely grammatical perspective, if at the time of speaking she still hasn't called then but she hans't should be the right choice, at least in BrE. And yet, for some reason, I cannot bring myself to say it. Maybe I'm hearing it like if it was a tag question and I want to follow the tense in the main clause, I dunno.
Especially in its negative form, e.g. I didn't think she would call but she has, it does sound a little bit off to me.

Thank you for your help
Henry

Re: She said she would but call but she didn't/she hasn't

Unread postby Henry » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:07 pm

Sorry, I messed up the subject line, I meant she said she would call but she didnt/hasnt
Henry

Re: She said she would but call but she didn't/she hasn't

Unread postby Richardavie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:55 am

'She said she would call but she didn't' means end of story, she didn't call.

'She said she would call but hasn't' sounds like 'she hasn't called yet' so there is the possibility that she might still call.

Both are correct with a very subtle difference!
Richardavie

Return to Grammar and Usage