EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

motivating students

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

motivating students

Unread postby quewua » Tue May 30, 2006 3:45 am

My lovely students agede 15-18 are very difficult to motivate in working in grammar.They definetly don·t like it and they only like listening to music :Do you know some attractive activities that I can perform with them based on songs? :lol:
quewua

Re: motivating students

Unread postby quewua » Tue May 30, 2006 3:46 am

quewua wrote:My lovely students agede 15-18 are very difficult to motivate in working in grammar.They definetly don·t like it and they only like listening to music :Do you know some attractive activities that I can perform with them based on songs? :lol:
quewua

Upraising morale

Unread postby bubba » Tue May 30, 2006 6:03 am

I know it a quite difficult task but you can do it not with music but by making ur lecture more organized and funny .... i've gone through such situations..
bubba

Teaching Grammar

Unread postby cityofislam » Tue May 30, 2006 9:23 am

Dear Colleague
Teaching grammar is one of the most important and difficult things in teaching English. In Egypt, Egyptian Teachers are the masters of grammar this is because they like grammar very mucn and they are very good at it.
Your students are not interested in grammar because of two important issues, the first the aim of learning grammar and the method of teaching it. Your task now is based on two sides. You have to encourage them to be interested in grammar by showing how important it is now. You can not write a good letter to a company asking for a job without good grammar and so on.
The other side which is the heaviest one is teaching. Why don't you try games in teaching grammar. All students like games. Also try to teach grammar deductively not inductively. You must meet their learning styles. This can make them interested in learning grammar.
Hope it will work with you.
I'm sure that you will write back to me soon telling me that they enjoyed it.
Your colleague
Mohammad
cityofislam

Motivating students

Unread postby sapphire » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:53 pm

That is indeed true - teaching grammar to students of these ages are a bit difficult for a teacher to get them interested in studying grammar. You are not alone in this situation. However, there are also ways in solving theis problem- and of course music can be a fun and motivating tool you can use in teaching grammar lessons to your young students! When I was also facing the same problem before, I tried to incorporate games with the grammar lessons and other interesting ways (such as music also) to motivate them. I even played one of the latest music in the classroom (which I realized that my students love so much) and distributed a copy of the lyrics. In each copy, I provided blanks and a set of answers in multiple choice. I gave these to them as a grammar exercise and after they completed their answers, I ask them to exchange their papers with their seatmates to correct them. Then I played the song and everyone was really paying attention to every single word sang in the music at the same time correcting their mistakes). You may try this, too and see that it truly works!!! Goodluck!!! :lol:
sapphire

Unread postby cityofislam » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:38 pm

sorry all
I made a mistake between deductive and inductive approach in teaching grammar. Try to teach it inductively not deductively all the time. This is realy good to involve music in grammar. You can also involve literature, stories, photos and personal life.
I'm a teacher of English in Egypt. I studied at the Moray House School of Education in the University of Edinburgh, Scotland.
cityofislam

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion