EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Here comes a pretty woman

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

Here comes a pretty woman

Unread postby Sania » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:32 am

Can someone help me explain why we say 'Here comes a pretty woman' instead of saying 'A pretty woman is coming.'?
Sania

Re: Here comes a pretty woman

Unread postby GiddyGad » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:55 am

Hi Sania,

Sania wrote:Can someone help me explain why we say 'Here comes a pretty woman' instead of saying 'A pretty woman is coming.'?

It's an interesting question, an easy one as well... if you are friendly with grammar.

Do you know when a "there be" construction is used? "Here comes" is similar. It's a way of introducing a new object.

I could have given a more detailed explanation, but I don't know what you think about this phenomenon. Will you be a bit more particular about your question and we could go into more detail.

Cheers,

GiddyGad
GiddyGad
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby adilk » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:36 am

Hi Sania,
"Here comes a pretty woman"
this shows a convenient situation. a situation emphasizing a previous idea.
While the second sentence""A pretty woman is coming" emphasizing on the feature and the continuity of the action of her coming.
the two sentences are different, each has its usages.
i hope this comment is useful. :) adilk
adilk

Unread postby byron » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:36 am

Sania wrote:Can someone help me explain why we say 'Here comes a pretty woman' instead of saying 'A pretty woman is coming.'?

The latter implies a pretty woman will be coming later.
For example, you are at a party and you say to someone "a pretty woman is coming" this shows that you know a pretty woman will be coming. Where-as if at the same party a good looking woman walked through the door you would say "here comes a pretty woman"

http://www.education-jobs.co.uk
byron

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion