EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Attentive Listening

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

Attentive Listening

Unread postby ugrksn » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:39 pm

Hello Dear Teachers;

I am a teacher trainee from Turkey. I have some questions about our occupation. I want to learn effective listening techniques to use responds of my future students in my classes. So, I want to learn attentive listening. What is attentive listening for you? and How can I use it in my classes? Can you give me some tips for better teaching?

Thank you for your consideration.
ugrksn

Re: Attentive Listening

Unread postby becki » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:33 am

According to businesslistening.com, Attentive Listening means thinking and acting in ways which connect you with the speaker. It is important for the teacher to fully listen to students and understand what they are saying. In addition, it is equally important for students to actively listen to each other and not zone-out in class.

In general, I think it is best to focus on authentic listening that appeals to the students' interests. If you are teaching young adults, then TV shows or movie clips might be interesting for them. If you are teaching businessmen, it might be better to show clips of meetings or presentations from Ted Talks. Then, discuss the listening or have an activity to check comprehension.

I hope that helps!
Becki
EFL Sensei- Free EFL/ESL Lessons for Busy Teachers
becki
Busy Member
Busy Member

Return to ESL Teacher Discussion