EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

How to teach English as 2nd language?

Discussion about courses, qualifications and teacher training. Do not advertise TEFL courses here.

Moderator: Susan

How to teach English as 2nd language?

Unread postby alphanexgen » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:29 am

Hi,

I'm Chris. I'm consider myself to be quite well with English language despite it being my second language.Therefore, I would like to help out my friends by teaching them English language. However, I have never taught or tutored anyone before. So, if someone could point me into a right direction on where to start, I would really be appreciated.

I will be focused mainly on grammar (for writing) and conversation.
alphanexgen

Re: How to teach English as 2nd language?

Unread postby shelleyvernon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:30 pm

Dear Chris,

Hello there. Here is a short video showing how to teach English 1:1 to a six year old and a twelve year old. These language games are from a book of games for teaching kids. The method really works, but the book is for teaching kids !

For teaching adults only about half the games in the book would work but if you sign up for the free game samples you'll get some that are ok for adults.

http://www.homeenglishteacher.com

All the best
Shelley
shelleyvernon

Re: How to teach English as 2nd language?

Unread postby LinguaTutor » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:59 am

Hello Chris

You can go on youtube and look for some ideas on how to teach students in various age groups. It's actually hard to tell someone how to teach without actual hands-on training. Everyone has their own teaching style so you just need to find the right "style" for your friend.

Take care!
LinguaTutor

Return to TEFL Training Discussion